Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pioneer Avic Z1 Watch home cable, Netflix, & traffic updates on screen. Also Pandora!

Ok here is what I did:
1. Buy a Pioneer AVIC Z1 Ebay or Amazon for $400.
2. Buy a bluetooth unit for it for $60.00
3. Buy a GEX-P10XMT Nav traffic Unit for it for 80.00
4. I found an installer for 250.00
5. He charged 180.00 for an Alpine High End Amp with a big out put and multiple channels
6. He charged me $120.00 for an extra monitor.
7. I then bought an hdmi output box from Amazon for $35.00
Total costs $1125.00 which for having traffic updates in Los Angeles, and Netflix and Direct tv is worth it. PS I sold my factory 6 disc head unit, screen, H/K Amp, and dvd navi for $500.00 so this offsets the total costs to bring my total to $625.00

He hooked up the unit and took out all of my factory parts. He hooked up my Alpine amp to the head unit and did all of the wiring. I then hooked up my HTC EVo by Sprint to the hdmi output box and set it to mirror from my EVO to my Netflix or my Slingbox hooked up to my Direct tv. I also have the rgb cables and the hdmi out put box and I have a ipod cable and they are routed through the lower glove box to be inconspiuous. I also hve two switches in the upper glove box. One switch turns off the upper monitor which is really just a mirror, and the second switch dims the lower monitor. Eventually I will hookup a backup camera. My budget was $1100 right now and back up camera and install will be another $100. Central Auto Sound on Glendale Blvd in Glendale CA did the install. They are awesome.

Now I have traffic updates on this system for being re-routed during navigation, and my fiance and I can watch netflix on long trips to either monitor or my direct tv thru my slingbox. I can also watch either of those while also making sure the navigation shows up on one of my screens.
I can also do I heart radio and padora on my EVO and the sound plays through the 10 speakers in the RrSport and the sound from any tv show or movies also play through the speakers. I also have voice activation and handsfree, and the hard drive on the avic Z1 can store 400 cds. So far Ive loaded 98 cd's to this unit, and I can also play dvd's to the head unit and display it on either screen. I could also get headrest monitors and send the video signal to the headrest monitors. I also have XM/Siruis blended Satellite radio too activated. The combined XM/Sirius/Nav Traffic updates is $120.00/year.

Electronics Car Vehicle Multimedia Technology
Electronics Screen Multimedia Technology Electronic device
Electronics Electronic device Screen Technology Multimedia
Electronics Multimedia Technology Screen Electronic device
Screen Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device
Electronics Audio equipment Technology Electronic instrument Electronic device
Technology Electronics Electronic device Cable Gadget

·
Registered
2017 RRS Supercharged Dynamic
675 Posts
Re: Pioneer Avic Z1 Watch home cable, Netflix, & traffic updates on screen. Also Pand

Very cool Mark

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
376 Posts
Re: Pioneer Avic Z1 Watch home cable, Netflix, & traffic updates on screen. Also Pand

Nice! Could you use your phone nav and display that on the screen?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks Rafa & Andyboy. Yes! I can use copilot and TeleNav and display it on my screen. Both of them have traffic updates. I can also use the free Google Maps and display that on the screen too with traffic updates.

I wanted to make sure I could display all of the phones functions on the screen to maximize the viewing area and the phone.

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi Mark;I am thinking of doing something similar to you and was wondering why you picked that particular Head unit?I dont have any navigation installed at all, no top screen.I was thinking of putting a head unit where the top screen sits.Do you think that your unit would fit into that space?

·
Premium Member
2006 Range Rover Sport
1,222 Posts

sweet setup

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey Ianm,

The reason I picked this head unit is because the newer Pioneer head units only have a space for sd card or an ipod hook up and this one has a hard drive that stores up to 400 cd's and it has Navtraffic and Pioneer discontinued the navtraffic headunits in the newere avic models. I dont like google maps as it takes longer to load and you dont get the same overview of freeways like you do with the navtraffic units. Plus this unit just does so much allowing me to stream my netflix and my slingbox to the unit so I can watch tv on it during long drives. Plus this unit is around $400 bucks and the newere head units are more money and I feel dont do as much. Lastly, the head unit wont fit in the space where the original map screen went in our trucks so you will have dead screen if you put the unit where your 6 disc changer goes, or you can put a second screen up there so you can watch movies on one screen and still navigation on another. Plus once you disconnect any of the original map screen or 6 disc head units the entire navi and stereo system is useless and wont work so you have to take everything out.

Anymore questions?

Mark

Hi Mark;I am thinking of doing something similar to you and was wondering why you picked that particular Head unit?I dont have any navigation installed at all, no top screen.I was thinking of putting a head unit where the top screen sits.Do you think that your unit would fit into that space?

·
Registered
75 Posts

Nice setup man

·
Registered
78 Posts

That setup you have there is impressive! How do watch your Dtv, netflix etc from the unit? Via phone?
Nice

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I watch my directv from my slingbox which is streamed through my phone. Same with Netflix. Thank you for the compliments everyone. I just wanted to able to have a full entertainment system in the ride. I really us the traffic updates to save me and I hated the small google maps on my phone. With this setup I can actually see the updates quickly when I start the car up.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Wow Awesome! So here is another question..the upper monitor is that the stock nav monitor? And you don't have a step by step process for this would you?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

No you cant use the stock monitor since it works on the MOST fiber optic system. Your best bet is to list all of your stock naigation parts on ebay as one big package and probably will get $4-$600 for it. Its an aftermarket screen I paid 100 bucks for. Central Auto Sound in Glendale CA did the install. Ask for Gary.

Sorry no step by step process since you need to remove your current system and cant use any stock parts and then hard wire all of the new stuff. Plus I didnt do it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts