RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So on my RRS '10 I'm getting a a chop sound (chop/bite down your back teeth with normal force as if chewing food, sounds exactly like that). Sounds like one end of a metal slapping across another. It's coming from the back wheels (sounds more like the back left driver side and not on the passenger side)

Has been going on for months now, no error messages and I don't notice any problems, just the sound.

The roads where I'm at are really smooth so I don't hear anything hear here, but if I go in the city and even driving over small bumps (like where two paved roads meet, or a pot hole that's been paved over) then I'll hear the sound. Happens when the car is moving at a decent speed (30mph or faster) doesn't happen when I go slow (like slowly going over speed bumps).

Any idea?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Could it be a dust shield coming loose on that corner or corroded from road salt?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this on my 2008 from the left/front wheel area... or at least what I could tell from the drivers seat. Just like you it was only noticeable in the city where the roads were disastrous. Had the dealer look into it and turns out it was a bushing in the lower control arm. $300 fix out the door. Might want to check around your control arms and see if they are dried / cracked from age.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Tap on the brake packing plate and see if thats the sound your hearing. If the U shaped Parking brake shoe retaining clip is not tight it will make a noise as the shoe rattle against the backing plate. Just my .02 cents I fixed for a customer. Took a bunch of playing around to find it and i just replace the clips with a new hardware kit and the noise was gone.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
39 Posts
If it's high pitched metal on metal like a chirp, it could be the air struts. I had my control arms replaced and put in poly bushings and the air struts were leaking as well. So maybe check that. Mine were coming from the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts