RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Thought i would pop up some pictures of the car now i have managed to white out the Reg Details.

First Pictures are of the car being Prepared for my Journey at Nene Overland in the UK. I have a full 2 day underbody Wax Oil, then had Front Bumper protector, G4 Underbody Protection, Roof bars, Window wind Deflectors, Lamp Guards all Installed.

After that, Pics after installation of the roof box for My travel from UK to Europe to Asia.

Last 2 are after my break-in in Ukraine!!! Where i am currently still stranded!!!!!!!

IMG_0431.jpg IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0433.jpg IMG_0470.jpg IMG_0472.jpg IMG_0453.jpg IMG_0452.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
I like it...why are you stranded in the Ukraine?
I presume he is waiting for a replacement window there...tough to drive thru Kazakhstan and do the Road of Bones with a blown out window! Nicely kitted out...let's see some more pics before the break in and share some of your planned route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

I am stranded not only waiting the glass but also for the Documents that the Thieving B*&^%$$ Stole. I will post some more pics and the route a little later. Away to Land Rover this morning as i started her this morning to have the engine warning light come on and stay on!!!!!
Not my lucky trip!!!!!!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
what kind of crash plate is that? oem? sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes its a genuine Land rover G4 for up to 2009 model which obviouly fits 2010 on with a little persuasion. Update is due to documents being stolen. I had to leave the car and run around to get new documents for the car and for myself. Just waiting on Visas now which i should have by the end of next week!

Then i am back on the road!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well gents,

Car repaired, documents all in order. Car picked up and in my way. I am now in Kazakhstan, route was Kiev to Kharkiv, Kharkiv to Rostov on Don, Rostov to Astrakhan, astrakhan to atyrau the most horrendous road I have ever seen!

Before departing Kiev, I visited BMC landrover when I had DHL ed the replacement glass. Glass was installed, Michelin LA2 xl 275/45/20 winter tyres fitted and the front anti roll bar bushes and clamps changed to stop knocking as per the LTR.

Car felt great and earring to go.

It was -10c in the morning I left and the black stuff soon changed to black ice wich made the 16hour run to the boarder quite interesting, roads were not great anyway but at least they were roads.

Crossed the boarder and an hour later was in the outskirts of Rostov where I found a very interesting Motel for all of 4 hours before hitting the road again.

Driving through This part of Russia was beautiful. Lots of farm land and spectacular views. As I approached astrakhan I could not but notice for over 200km all I did was decend, and sometimes quite steeply too, so I guess astrakhan is pretty low compared to sea level.

In astrakhan, I met up with a Russian friend Andrey who is from atyrau. He was to accompany me accross the Kazakhstan boarder and then on to atyrau. So stopped for the night, eat and right to bed in the quaint little cottage of Andreys sister in law.

The next morning, breakfast and on the road with the boarder only being 79km away and a floating bridge crossing which was interesting!

Got to the boarder and crossed without any problems, aided by the knowledge of Andrey,

However, coming out the other dude I was in shock! The road was not like any road I have ever seen. I could not even walk the road without being in a pot hole, let alone drive it, and 20% of the road had reroffed so much that the asphalt had crumbled and fallen away! challenge! Love it!!!

As it turns out, only 100km of the 360kms was like this so after the first three hours and 100km later was time to get a move on.

Andrey pipes up, chris why don't I drive, I know this road very well!!

Well I know Andrey very well, he is not the normal Eastern European driver do I agree.

About 300km in a thump! Andrey hits a huge pot hole on the passenger side. Was getting dark and he missed it. But not with the car!! TPMS pipes up, low pressure warning.....uh oh

So we pull over and as TPMS says tyre pressure low but not flat. So out eith the compressor. Tyre back to pressure and back in the road! Finally arriving 9pm in Atyrau!

The day after I discovered that both passenger side rims are bent! So go for the spare, guess what????? It's a 19" alloy, with a 255/55/19 brand new tyre but of course does not fit the car! The joys of buying second hand cars!!!!

See some updated pictures below!! Enjoy!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,966 Posts
I have the same wheels on my 2013 RRS. I can't believe it got bent? I guess the L320 RRS cannot tackle real world terrain huh?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,966 Posts
I'm surprised that the forums main page says "expedition" and this kind of drive qualifies for one. not the staged, manufacture sponsored #Iamdriven event where there is no excitement of the unknown. All by himself on a trek to prove what the RRS was made for.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I agree. Way to go. I would much rather hear about getting stranded with bent rims in rural Russia than outside of Macy's...

Would love to see some pics of the sport in some crazy Russian towns

1 - 15 of 15 Posts