RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should part this out or fix it up.

Its a 99' HSE 4.6L 150K miles

Picked it up for $275.

Needs:

Crank position Sensor
Front Driveshaft
Interior Bits (**** cheap plastic they used on these)
Driverside Mirror
Rearview Mirror
Gas Door actuator
Rear drivers side window
Possibly a Transfer case
Window motors a couple doors.

A mechanic thought the engine was toast. I can't seen anything wrong with it. I pulled the pan and checked everything. No coolant in the oil. The engine turns over freely. He said the thing just died on the freeway and they towed it in. They pulled the oil pan and thought they found metal shavings in the pan. I found a tiny piece, but nothing else. The pan only had a little sludge in it. I cleaned it and didn't find any other shavings. I can crank it over with the starter. I just need to stick the pan back on. I cleaned it up in my parts washer and stuck another gasket on it, I had for my Disco. So atleast the motor appears to be in good order.

There are lots of these P38's in the Junkyards near me in Northern Utah, so getting some parts should be a snap. I may just fix it and flip it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more random pictures of the interior, oil pan and seats.

Engine bay is fairly clean

This is the oil pan. Before, during and after cleaning.

Bottom/ crankshaft

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some interior. It even has the tray tables.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
212 Posts
Pan looks really good for 150K miles.
I cleaned mine at 90+k when I got it, and it was horrendous with about 1 inch thick sludge.
Engine bay and interior look great too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like it would be a horrible shame to part it out. Fix the issues and it would be another nice P38 back on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fix it and keep it. It looks sweet. Time and money will surely make you love it. I originally bought mine as a get through the winter motor and now I'm in the new year I find myself doin all the little jobs that originally didn't bother me. Feel like keeping it now!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like a bargain to me - would be good to give her another lease of life.

That engine looks very nice and clean - mine has been a few rivers so it is not in the best of shape inside or out!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not new to P38's. This is my second one. So atleast I know the in's and outs.

This was my old one. We had a 4th kid, so I sold it and bought a Discovery 2. And I have a 93' Range Rover LWB.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My RRC LWB, Its under the knife getting a Mercedes Turbo Diesel motor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MAN... why aren't there any of these on THIS end of the US?

*sigh*... i struggle to find any P38's for sale up here in Maine, and when i do they certainly aren't selling for $275... *sigh*..

I say fix it & flip it... always nice to keep another on the road...

-Nate

·
Registered
123 Posts
definitely a nice pick up.. those tray tables are the "holy grail" if you will.. you can easily get about $1000 for those alone from the right buyer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts