RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of an engine replacement, thought you guys might appreciate this. Always interesting to see what things look like when other stuff is removed!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Oh wow! Good job! Check a steering column mini-U-joint before rack, if corroded or otherwise look unhealthy - may be better to replace now, like $140 from LRDirect.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
120 Posts
Nice view! It looks like not much rust. Which year is the car?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice view! It looks like not much rust. Which year is the car?
2012 (in my sig)

I'm in KY but vehicle spent most of its life in Texas, no rust to worry about, just lots of dust.

It's clean in that pic because believe it or not my lovely wife helped me degrease it. :) (yes she's a keeper for sure)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, a few things to note. Those motor mounts are brand new, figured it was cheap insurance to replace now.

You can also see that driver's side upper control arm is disconnected. I disconnected it and dropped it down because the 4 bolts that have to be removed from the torque converter to remove engine are a NIGHTMARE to remove. Probably hardest most tedious aspect of the job. Had to use a boroscope to see them. Turned out I really didn't have to drop the control arm but oh well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knalex01 - why the reason for the engine removal? That is an amazingly clean engine bay - kudos to you and your wife!
Ugh, long story. Did the big timing job and then got an oil leak from the driver's side valve cover. I know exactly what happened, but I decided if I was going to tear into it again I would just replace the motor and sell my old motor after fixing the issue. I'm doing crank pulley, supercharger pulley, and exhaust while I've got everything apart (new motor back in actually).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I see some HF jack stands you got there, if those are 6 ton ones you should go and return them. There is safety recall that just been issued for them

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I see some HF jack stands you got there, if those are 6 ton ones you should go and return them. There is safety recall that just been issued for them
Those are 3 ton (good eyes by the way!). I would assume they are contacting folks if they have bought the recalled version? How did you find out?

-edit- Just google searched this, it affects 3 ton models as well. Here you go:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I read it somewhere, can’t remember where. And to be honest it’s not something you want to be reading after hours spent underneath the car. Ditching HF and going with big red for that extra locking pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
You said you did the timing job on the old engine right? I’m assuming you have used the kit from AB? Just out of curiosity that kit comes with the third chain, auxiliary I believe. Did you replace that as well? Can’t find any info about replacing that one, just the mains.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said you did the timing job on the old engine right? I’m assuming you have used the kit from AB? Just out of curiosity that kit comes with the third chain, auxiliary I believe. Did you replace that as well? Can’t find any info about replacing that one, just the mains.

Correct, I did the job and used AB (and their video). It does come with the aux chain that drives the high pressure fuel pumps - I didn't replace that, just didn't see the need and looked like a lot of extra work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts