RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on making a roof rack for our P-38 that will mount to the OEM rail points. My brother-in-law has a metal fabrication company locally that makes everything from small machine parts to large electronic and medical equipment cabinets - so it should be easy for him to do. If it was cost effective to do so we could offer them to members here as well.

Please post pictures of any racks you have bought, made or seen for ideas. Found this one on e-bay, not sure if it is a retail product or a 1-off fabricated one. Might want to include mounting for off road lights on the front or hooks for bungee cords.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,426 Posts
Is that an SD rack?

Here's mine. Unfortunately, it's only a half rack but the price was right.

I can take some better pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked back and it is - sold for $799.

I was thinking 1/2" square stock for most of the cage, 5/8 or 3/4 square for cross bars and base hoop. Planning on doing a full style with the space for the sunroof - like the SD one.

He's got a powder coating booth, so semi gloss black for a nice hard finish.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's another one, $1,275 Buy It Now! Ouch!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any others out there?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Here is a thread on my Safety Devices rack. They are very sturdy but also very expensive. I am not sure if you can find them new anymore, but used ones come up every once in awhile. I got lucky and bought it off a guy who was selling his truck and asked if he would sell the rack separately. I got a screaming deal on it when compared to what most used ones are going for.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36934&hilit=rack

also, Roverracks.com has a nice rack with similar looks to the SD rack.

Here is a post to the SD rack hardware used to install it. The hardware is very difficult to find. I took pics up close to show how it works. They are aluminum mounts.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37816&p=294399

If you plan to make one yourself, I think the mounting system will be difficult to duplicate. It will take a lot of work to create a full roof rack. The SD rack also has a slight slope that matches the contours of the truck roof line. It is top quality work. Good luck.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,426 Posts
I'll take some pix of my rack mounts tomorrow. They are much simpler than the SD units.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any new pics? Pricing materials now, checking on both cold rolled steel and aluminum stock. Plan to make one like the SD rack and will powder coat it a semi gloss black to match the trim on the truck. Might do some brackets up front for off road lighting - not sure yet. If we can get it all sorted out and make this one at a reasonable cost, we might offer them here.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,426 Posts
Sorry I didn't get around to taking the pix. I'll try tomorrow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ron, no problem.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
TheBoss said:
Any others out there?
Although this may not be along the lines of what you are hunting for, here is a shot of my camping rack. It is a Thule 690XT MOAB (Mother Of All Baskets) with optional 691 extension. It comes with 4 mounts /clamps bike rack cross bars, wind deflector and is super easy to assemble. I purchased 4 extra mounts as my roof rack has four cross bars instead of the standard two. This brought the total price to appx $450. It takes all of about 15 minutes to mount and allows for full sunroof tilt operations. I have had several hundred pounds of gear, luggage, tents, cooler and 3 foot logs up there without so much as a squeek.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
TheBoss said:
Any new pics? Pricing materials now, checking on both cold rolled steel and aluminum stock. Plan to make one like the SD rack and will powder coat it a semi gloss black to match the trim on the truck. Might do some brackets up front for off road lighting - not sure yet. If we can get it all sorted out and make this one at a reasonable cost, we might offer them here.
Depending on how reasonable the price is and how similar to the SD rack yours is, I would definitely be interested. I would say that the light brackets are a must, as I would definitely be mounting some up front, and that would be a selling point for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Materials have been priced and ordered - anybody have more pictures?

Does anybody have detailed pictures of thier SD rack they could share?

[email protected]

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts
TheBoss said:
Found this one on e-bay, not sure if it is a retail product or a 1-off fabricated one. Might want to include mounting for off road lights on the front or hooks for bungee cords.

The SD racks (shown in your pictures) have 4 tabs on the front for lights.
They're hidden by the wind deflector; if you put lights on it, you can't use the wind deflector.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would it be better to mount the light tabs to the back of the upper hoop? I see where they are mounted to the back of the lower - where are the wire provisions run on yours? Once I get this together I'm also planning on shipping a cut section of the front hoop to a buddy of mine who does Carbon Fiber work - to mold a faring for it. May keep the mounting tabs on the lower hoop anyways to provide a mounting point for the faring.

Any opinions good/bad on the riser towards the back on the upper hoop? Should I include it or not? For those of you who use the rack, is it useful? Necessary? Should the entire rack be higher? Is it there purely for aesthetics?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts