RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Was out driving the Pig today and noticed something new.....

Cruising down the highway at 120 km/h (so the car's at highway height), I noticed that as it rode the undulations on the road, a very slight rumble- exactly like a rumble strip trying to be polite would sound/feel- would come on everytime the suspension was compressed.

This is a new one on me.... has anybody had this before and if so, what did it turn out to be?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It is hard to trace noises, but I have had a front wheel bearing go. It got noisier as I turned into a corner. Made a rumbling noise that got worse as time went on.

Just recently I have found nuts missing on the exhaust heatshields underneath. One at the front by the gearbox and one at the rear next to the wheel well. It makes a tinny drumming noise at speed.

Only other suggestions are a CV joint or maybe a prop shaft U/J on the way out?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi dave3d....

Thanks for that- I'll have a poke around this weekend. I'm suspecting something in the drivetrain. It doesn't seem like a suspension related issue, but probably something related to the way the propshafts or some such move when the suspension compresses.

Will post on here if I figure it out

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Also check the bottom nuts on the shocks are done up tight. I fitted new shocks recently and could get an extra turn on the nut after the new rubbers bedded in. It made a banging noise over the bumps.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
You might check to see if a wheel weight was thrown and causing a balance issue...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to send the Pig in for an oil change so when I handed it over to my mech guy I mentioned the phantom rumble strip thing.

So he dived under the car and when he resurfaced he told me that the drive shaft coupling (part no STC2794) had ruptured.

I figure that'd about do it.

As the car is not drivable with the ruptured coupling (at least not if I want to risk megabucks repairs if it comes off entirely while I'm driving), I won't know for sure until it's been replaced but I reckon I'm about 90% sure that we've found the culprit.

Anyhoo.... STC2974 is a DSE-specific part but the V8s have their equivalent and I reckon the symptoms would be similar.... a vibration that comes and goes as speed varies. That's exactly what I had the last time it failed about 7 years ago. This time it wasn't speed-dependent, but comes on and off as the suspension compresses.

I guess the takeaway is that when confronted with a vibration that comes and goes, in addition to rounding up the usual suspects- ball joints, bearings, hubs, tie rod ends, various bushings (all of which is good advice), do take a look at the driveshaft couplings (2.4) and universal joints (V8 ) as well.

I'll post on here once the new part is in and I've had a chance to try it out...... I don't think there's much chance we're wrong, though!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.... and she's running fine now. So yeah- I'll go ahead and confirm that it was that propshaft coupling.

For ref STC2794 has been superceded by TVF100010. MYR863.90 (£164.40) including fitting at Land Rover Malaysia. Yeah.... I went posh with this one! You can get the part alone for about 1/10th that on ebay.

Cheers, guys!

·
Registered
139 Posts
..why did ya go to Land Rover malaysia?? They are well known as legal thiefs .. this is man you are looking for (Anthony)..fantastic fella, very very reliable and efficient man..here is his web site..

MyLandRoverPart
http://www.mylandroverpart.com/

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I needed the car back straight away and couldn't afford to wait for parts to arrive. Besides, the car had to go to Landrover Malaysia anyways to have a new windscreen fitted. The old one had developed a sudden, totally gratuitous crack while driving one day.

There's also (and I'm not saying Anthony does this- by all accounts he has a FANTASTIC reputation around these parts) the risk that a non-genuine, non-OEM, meant-for-BMW-or-Mercedes part finds its way in there. My own mech (Jefri) had warned me about this and told me to go buy direct from Landrover and hang the extra cost because the (much cheaper) alternative part has a nasty habit of failing when dealing with a P38's mass.

I dunno about how true this holds in kinder climates but I figure it's probably worth mentioning here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts