RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a brand new 2016 Evoque 2 months ago and it's been a nightmare! It honks unexpectedly (usually a sequency of 2 honks at a time) in many situations. We've been on shaming situation because of this issue! It seems that it's related to: 1) rainy days/water, 2) proximity to something (people/objects). The car has been serviced, but they didn't find anything wrong. Any clue?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
WHat has the dealer said? Blahview JLR is steller in their customer service. :roll:

not meaning to sound condescending, but the overly dramatic tone to a first post is really a dead give away for trolls. SO, with that in mind, have you read your owners manual? What does it say about your alarm system and two beeps? Obviously it'll be something simple or your entire rig is about to self destruct. There really is no middle ground. :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
We also got a 2016 Evoque last months and it started doing the same thing last week. Randomly honking for no apparent reason, will also flash lights and unlock/lock the doors. Going on the 5 North and having the car honking, lights randomly flashing, and the doors unlocking/locking was not only embarrassing but dangerous as well.

We took it to the dealer who said they reset the KPI sensor or "something" of that nature but didn't tell us what specifically and said if the problem came back to bring back.

The issue never was resolved. In fact, 30 minutes later after leaving the dealer the dual honk returned. In fact, the vehicle is sitting outside my home right now randomly honking for no reason at random intervals. We also seem to notice it's attributed to wet weather and distance to objects as well.

It's incredibly annoying. If the dealer can't fix it by the 3rd try we are going to proceed with the lemon law.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting, I just leased a 2016 Evoque HSE on Sat 12/19 for my wife. Today she mentioned that the horn beeped twice on 2 different occasions this morning and asked me to take a look at it. It was raining lightly and there was a car behind her both times. I test drove it tonight (still wet but not raining) but couldn't get it to beep. There weren't any cars around. I will ask her to make a note of the situation if/when it happens again. Only other problem so far is the drivers seat warmer doesn't work, so when I bring it in to fix that, I'll mention the 2 beeps. If they know how to fix it, I will let you know. I will be taking it to Main Line Land Rover in Wayne PA. I will also e-mail my salesman to see if he has heard of this issue.
BTW, you mentioned that the last 2 mo's have been a nightmare... what other issues have you had?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TripleBlack8 - Our main problem is the phantom honk. It's a nightmare because it honks in the worst situations! When I'm in a drive-thru line, when I'm stuck in traffic, or when people is crossing in front of the vehicle. It seem that I'm being disrespectful! :(
But there are other problems: the car goes to 2 wheel drive mode unexpectedly; trunk opens for no reason when the car is parked (nothing blocking the door).

ngerasimatos - We don't have the flash lights, lock/unlock issues, but the "2 wheel drive only" message scares me! It's been snowing around here and that's a huge concern!

Please, guys, let me know if you find a solution for these problems and I'll do the same! Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
All of these issues sound electrical to me.

We had an issue the night we purchased, the heater wouldn't work. Turns out the battery was too low so it went into low power mode to conserve electricity. I assume it was due to the fact we bought the showroom vehicle. The next day everything was fine.

I may have overlooked other issues as I am focused mainly on being able to drive the car without the horn randomly honking, lights flashing and doors locking/unlocking like the car is possessed.

Only other thing to note.

The parallel and perpendicular parking assist is terrible when compared to my BMW. The stealer said its working fine but has failed to work for me 95% of the time. I live in downtown Seattle so this is a major issue for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, so I have an update!

I took the Evoque to Land Rover/Jaguar of Lynwood and met with Michael Long who is a Service Advisor. He said he is very aware of the "phantom honk" and Range Rover has acknowledged there is an issue. In fact, multiple rental vehicles of theirs have the same problem. Michael said it's likely attributed to the sensor that allows the tailgate to be opened with a swipe of your foot under the rear bumper.

He said it's either a sensor failure or something electrical, but it is, in fact, a problem and Land Rover is working on it. He asked me to bring the vehicle back Monday so they can provide a loaner vehicle and attempt to fix the issue.

If the fix is software related, it's going to be dome time before the update is pushed out. If its hardware, a replacement sensor might do the trick.

You can reach out to him if you want as I am attaching his contact information. He also said their location and Bellevue are under the same owner so Bellevue should also be aware of this problem now.

Michael Long - Service Advisor
Phone: 1-425-9222 EXT 143
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great news!!! Thank you! Now we at least have a clue! As for my experience, it really makes sense that the problem can be related to the rear bumper sensor.
Unfortunately, I'm too busy now to take my car to the dealer, but I'll do it after the Holidays! Thanks for sharing Michael's contact!
If you have any other information, please, let us now. I'll definitely do the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great news!!! Thank you! Now we at least have a clue! As for my experience, it really makes sense that the problem can be related to the rear bumper sensor.
Unfortunately, I'm too busy now to take my car to the dealer, but I'll do it after the Holidays! Thanks for sharing Michael's contact!
If you have any other information, please, let us now. I'll definitely do the same.
Heading into the stealer today to drop off the Range. Also going to have them look into a "fogging" rear camera as well. Seems moisture keeps getting into the lens which is annoying since it prevents me from seeing behind when backing out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked up the vehicle today from the dealer. The rear camera needs to be replaced as it doesn't have a proper seal and is letting condensation inside the camera housing.

I asked them to check the speedometer reading as when the vehicle start/stops the speedometer seems to be off for the first few miles before correcting itself.

They tested the parallel and perpendicular parking and agreed that the parking system sometimes worked and other times was flakey. It was insinuated a later software update might fix this but was not guaranteed.

As for the phantom honk/alarm/insanity issue, there is no software released yet from Land Rover and they disconnected the rear hatch foot sensor. They advised they have had to do this on EVERY 2016 Evoque that they have taken possession of.

It will be 3 weeks for the rear camera sensor to arrive and there is no ETA on the phantom honk/software/defective sensor repair.

The technician was unable to duplicate the speedometer issue but logged it in the system and when I bring the vehicle back they will look into it all issues reported again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update! I'll let you all know what they say about our car when I take it to the dealer, probably around Jan 10th. If the solution is the same, disconnecting the rear hatch foot sensor, thats totally ok for me, since I don't use it.
I wish you luck with your other problems! Maybe your rear camera will dry out with all the sunny days we have ahead of us! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
As for the random honking, try disabling the "Reverse Traffic Detection". I did it and it seemed to have worked. Only problem is that it resets itself every time you start the car, so you have to uncheck it every time you start it. I forgot to do it once and got the beep twice while driving. After unchecking it, no more beeps. Could be a coincidence... but who knows, it's worth a try. Please report back if this works or doesn't work.
To disable, go to:
-Drivers Assistance
-Reverse Traffic Detection
-Uncheck box
**Remember you have to do this every time you start the car**

·
Registered
14 Posts
As for the phantom honk/alarm/insanity issue, there is no software released yet from Land Rover and they disconnected the rear hatch foot sensor. They advised they have had to do this on EVERY 2016 Evoque that they have taken possession of.
Just curious, did disconnecting the foot sensor fix the phantom honking?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just brought our 2016 in for a few things including the phantom honk. They said Land Rover will have a recall during the 13th week of 2016 for the honking issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As it is a minor issue it will most likely just be a service bulletin.
It's not so minor when you come out in the rain to find the tailgate open and the remaining doors unlocked; further, the inconvenient honking rankles other drivers (road rage anyone?). Does it leave you by the side of the road...no. Should you have to put up with it in a new premium automobile, no.

LR's interim solution is to pull a fuse in the rear panel that disables the 'gesture sensor' AND power lift/close; so you're not only working the hatch manually, you're fighting the mechanism too; this is posing bit of a challenge for my wife.

We love the car, and we'll soldier on, but not forever...

Cheers

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
I am not saying it is not a pain. However the term recall is tossed around erroneously by most people. An actual recall would be called for by the NTSB or voluntarily by LRNA for safety issues. Think SRS, failed brake lines... etc. A service bulletin is issued only by LRNA for items found to be faulty or items improperly assembled. Think a flaw in firmware/software, sticking seat switch, screens shutting down and yes, phantom honking. It a convenience issue, that is all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not so minor when you come out in the rain to find the tailgate open and the remaining doors unlocked; further, the inconvenient honking rankles other drivers (road rage anyone?). Does it leave you by the side of the road...no. Should you have to put up with it in a new premium automobile, no.

LR's interim solution is to pull a fuse in the rear panel that disables the 'gesture sensor' AND power lift/close; so you're not only working the hatch manually, you're fighting the mechanism too; this is posing bit of a challenge for my wife.

We love the car, and we'll soldier on, but not forever...

Cheers
We filed complaints with Land Rover and the States Attorney Generals office.

The vehicle is unsafe to be driven in its current form. Imagine driving on the freeway at 65mph and the horn springs to life, lights flashing, and the doors/trunk attempting to open/close. I am pretty sure this would either startle others or yourself and it could cause an accident. This issue poses a risk to the driver, passengers and those driving near the vehicle.

The vehicle also fails to properly use Park Assist and the Collision Warning System doesn't seem to be operating correctly as well.

Further, owning the vehicle for less than 40 days now I find the situation to be utterly unacceptable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts