RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a Pertronix and matching coil installed in a '93 LWB 4.2L, and so far it's running great. I did it because after fighting with the ignition for literally years, it died COLD at a stoplight, which it had never done before; I used to be able to coax it back to life with an igniter change or just letting it "sit" for a few minutes.

So I had it towed, and the shop confirmed the problem was isolated to the distributor. They suggested a Pertronix, and weighing the good/bad I've read here, plus the cost of an OEM dizzy with the possibility of ALL the recurring ignition headaches, I went for it. I believe they installed the single-wire version available for this truck.

The mechanic told me the ECU no longer had any control over the ignition, so I wondered about that.... but so far so good.

What are any failure modes I might look out for? I'm still driving with a bit of nervousness.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Awesome move on the new distributor
You should be fine from what I’ve read...
But..... you said....” I'm still driving with a bit of nervousness”....
It my belief with the rover
You probably always will
Have that ..,.
But no worry’s
It’s running good
Go with it

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bit worried that your mech though the ECU ever had any control over the ignition though. I went with 123 and it's night and day. Think anything beats lucas, the lord of darkness!

Sent from my LG-H930DS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have one in my 92 SWB, because the original went out. Works fine. Fit was perfect and pretty much like OE.

I did have to take off the module on mine because it conflicted with an aftermarket module the previous owner installed.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Following.
Mine has been eating coils and I can't find a reason for it.
I just had a Pertronix and matching coil installed in a '93 LWB 4.2L, and so far it's running great. I did it because after fighting with the ignition for literally years, it died COLD at a stoplight, which it had never done before; I used to be able to coax it back to life with an igniter change or just letting it "sit" for a few minutes.

So I had it towed, and the shop confirmed the problem was isolated to the distributor. They suggested a Pertronix, and weighing the good/bad I've read here, plus the cost of an OEM dizzy with the possibility of ALL the recurring ignition headaches, I went for it. I believe they installed the single-wire version available for this truck.

The mechanic told me the ECU no longer had any control over the ignition, so I wondered about that.... but so far so good.

What are any failure modes I might look out for? I'm still driving with a bit of nervousness.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following.
Mine has been eating coils and I can't find a reason for it.
Eating Pertronix coils? This has ME concerned; what are the symptoms when it happens so I can be aware?

I read with interest the parallel thread by someone who installed a different dizzy by SimonBBC(?), that seems to retain the AB relocation kit. SOunds like a clean installation, but I am MORE than happy to be rid of the relocation kit entirely. My Pertronix looks like it has a single wire leading to the new coil mounted on the fender, without the re-location kit claptrap of the previous setup.

Been driving it a week now, fires up instantly, idles nice, accelerates well, and by the gas guage (I'm sure it's my imagination), getting better mileage. I'll post again when I calculate actual mileage.

I'm kinda annoyed because the shop I used will always install parts that I buy, and in this case I sent the guy web images of the 2 Pertronix dizzys available for my truck to see which one he would prefer to install, and he went ahead and ordered one himself. He charged me double what I could've bought it for myself. Should have just bought both myself, gave them to him, and returned the one he didn't use. ARRRGH!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don’t take this personally...
But you do realize
Mechanics think that you, me, we, are just a bunch of idiots
Before I would take my Rover to one
I’d burn it to the ground
( hypothetically of course
And it just sounds good)
and get another one...
My opinion of course.....
There is enough information out there to do anything
And they are simple ...,
I always read about having deep pockets
Your post is a perfect example
Good luck on your Rover adventure
Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before I would take my Rover to one
I’d burn it to the ground

There is enough information out there to do anything
And they are simple ...,
I've done a _hit-ton of work on my '94 that a lesser man would've taken it to a shop to do. I've removed/dismantled/re-built my dizzy myself a few times, and installed the amplifier re-lo kit myself, too, so I ain't 'fraid of getting my hands dirty. Considered a Pertronix swap previously, too, but the consensus there is NOT unanimous, so I never did it. But any RR owner will attest to the fact that they are a singularly INFURIATING vehicle at times, while at others (when they're operating well) they're the most satisfying thing in the world to drive. This particular dizzy failure came at a time when:

1. I was suffering mightily from Lyme disease and had no physical energy
2. Kid was driving the car to school/gym/work and thus was in constant use and could not languish while I "got around" to fixing it
3. Failure occurred in the middle of an intersection so I had to have it towed IMMEDIATELY without knowing exactly what was wrong, and thus did not have the luxury of determining that I could fix it myself with my existing knowledge
4. Wife was on the rampage with existing "projects" still un-finished at home, and me towing home a vehicle she considers an eyesore anyway would've been the kiss of death for the Rover AND me

So yeah, I agree about taking it to a mechanic, and I KNEW the fix would be something I could've done myself, but other aspects of life get in the way sometimes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've done a _hit-ton of work on my '94 that a lesser man would've taken it to a shop to do. I've removed/dismantled/re-built my dizzy myself a few times, and installed the amplifier re-lo kit myself, too, so I ain't 'fraid of getting my hands dirty. Considered a Pertronix swap previously, too, but the consensus there is NOT unanimous, so I never did it. But any RR owner will attest to the fact that they are a singularly INFURIATING vehicle at times, while at others (when they're operating well) they're the most satisfying thing in the world to drive. This particular dizzy failure came at a time when:

1. I was suffering mightily from Lyme disease and had no physical energy
2. Kid was driving the car to school/gym/work and thus was in constant use and could not languish while I "got around" to fixing it
3. Failure occurred in the middle of an intersection so I had to have it towed IMMEDIATELY without knowing exactly what was wrong, and thus did not have the luxury of determining that I could fix it myself with my existing knowledge
4. Wife was on the rampage with existing "projects" still un-finished at home, and me towing home a vehicle she considers an eyesore anyway would've been the kiss of death for the Rover AND me

So yeah, I agree about taking it to a mechanic, and I KNEW the fix would be something I could've done myself, but other aspects of life get in the way sometimes.
All good points....
But I did say to don’t take offense ...,
I was just posting my thoughts
Which are worth ...I’d say about a hill of beans....
Being proactive.....I’d say you got that going ....it’s all an adventure
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Mikieman
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing