Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a front & rear set of Britpart Performance Discs, drilled and grooved http://www.britpart.com/parts/perfo...ver/range-rover-p38/front-brake-discs/da4603/ and my local mechanic mounted them so the top of the grooves hit the brake pads first, i.e. the dust and gasses are forced towards the centre. There is no indication on the discs as to which is left or right hand side, so does it matter?

Thanks

Hugh

·
Registered
812 Posts
You're right to question it. I'm pretty sure, from what you are relaying, they are on opposite of what they should be. My Disco has slotted rotors. I'd go out and look, but it is currently in another city from my current location.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
Registered
61 Posts
The drilled holes will do all the work, those groves are more cosmetic. They will have a small effect but not something you would notice.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Would it make any practical difference whether the gases that travel down the grooves come out the middle or the edge of the disc? The stock brakes aren't bad, and grooves really only help with off-gassing from heavy brake applications at speeds well beyond what your RR will achieve. As veightpower says, the holes will do more for it.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Given the choice between standard discs and Britpart performance discs, I would suspect the standard ones will work better. They will certainly last longer. I don't like having to do the same job twice so won't touch anything with Britpart on the box.....

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Agreed! Britpart is fine for cheap trim bits but no way I would trust their goods for safety items. I have only ever used genuine parts for brakes on any of my rigs and have never had a fitment question, issue or concern. The genuine parts provide excellent braking with no need for so called "performace" items.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Those rotors look like "Power Slot" which is now owned by "Stop Tech". They are sold on "Tire Rack". If they are, then they should be good. Maybe the only good thing from BritParts.
As far as the slots or grooves, they serve to keep the pads clean and deglazed as well as out gassing. They don't do anything for cooling. Drilling does help with cooling but at some cost. According to Stop Tech, it can reduce surface contact with the pad b as much as 7%, whereas the slots by only 3%. They also stated at one time that drilling reduced the integrity of the rotor leading to fractures. I have had a rotor fracture so I stopped using them and went with just the slots. But I also don't do a lot of heavy braking to need the additional cooling.

98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
Registered
690 Posts
The quickest way to stop a vehicle is a good solid wall. Beyond that, dicking around with the brake discs isn't going to make much difference to you. Pads, maybe, but not discs.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The quickest way to stop a vehicle is a good solid wall. Beyond that, dicking around with the brake discs isn't going to make much difference to you. Pads, maybe, but not discs.
I second that, even though I have experimented with drilled and currently have slotted rotors.
Cross drilled are made for Porsche and Ferrari where they may be driven hard and need that extra cooling. But they also have larger calipers.
I like my slotted rotors not because they stop better, because they don't. But because I no longer have any issues with squealing and glazing of the pads. I had big issues with that. As soon as the RR is due for a brake job, I'll put slotted on it also.

98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your views and comments. I'll give the discs a try and let you know my thoughts. I've had all the brake lines replaced and callipers serviced. The front discs were worn, so I decided to replace all of them at once. I use Britpart for many spares, and he had no problems with their height sensors, water pump etc. Where possible I tend to stick with OEM parts.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies.

Hugh

·
Registered
133 Posts
My britpart sloted and drilled disks had a stiker for RH and LH on them.
Just a few days with them, on delphy pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts