RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Everyone !!
I didn't know where to post this, so rather than post it under every Model I thought I would do it here.

Up until this point I thought Kroil was the best, but someone sent me this so I thought I would share it (You're welcome)

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting.

Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............ 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone .

Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Interesting... and can probably be seen from space with that huge font !

Obviously this mixture should be kept clear of paintwork, many plastics, skin.....

Presumably ATF is pretty thin on its own so the Acetone thins it even further ?

Edit: Quick check: Looks like 85:15 ATF/Acetone works best..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... and can probably be seen from space with that huge font !

Obviously this mixture should be kept clear of paintwork, many plastics, skin.....

Presumably ATF is pretty thin on its own so the Acetone thins it even further ?

Edit: Quick check: Looks like 85:15 ATF/Acetone works best..
Oh I know, that's what happens when you copy and past from an e-mail, and yes, it would be best to apply it mainly to siezed threaded items such as Nuts and Bolts etc and not wash your Car in it.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this concoction my self, I'm not a Chemist, so I can't guarantee mixing ATF and Acetone together won't create an explosion. Let me know is it does, I will then cross it off my "Good ideas" list.

Cheers then!!

·
Banned
449 Posts
No problem, looks like it has been reduced in size now anyway.

Yes, 'penetrating oils' are mainly a matter of viscosity, so 'the thinner the better', so there is no reason why a mixture of ATF & Acetone would not work quite well - so definitely a handy tip !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts