Range Rovers Forum banner

Peeling key fob

Tags
fob key peeling
18K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  jawnly211 
#1 ·
My car's at the dealer for it's first service and without even asking the SA offered to replace my key under warranty because the outer skin is peeling off.
It should be noted that I treat my key very well. It's in my pocket most of the day, and otherwise it's in a dry place at home and has never gotten wet.
So I thought I'd let you know that your SA is likely to get you a replacement if you're having the same issue. The stuff was just poorly made I guess and it's happening to all their keys across the board.

#2 ·
Wow that is great news. My neighbour has two L405s which I have keys for and regularly drive. The older key... only 2 years old, is just starting to peel/lift. Did you notice or know if it is a different design or just a like same replacement.

#5 · (Edited)
It's the same, hopefully with a better glue to keep the rubber skin attached to the plastic body. Got my LR4's (same key, minus the Range Rover embossing) replaced last year as well for the same reason. There is a TSB:

https://app.box.com/s/zoj1f9ip17et654gy06z6aic0om9c56z

For a while after getting the replacement I used this cheap, eBay sourced silicone cover to protect it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Silic...que-/251601421820?hash=item3a949d05fc&vxp=mtr

The cover is tight and fits like a glove, and also protects the fob from bumps, drops and even accidental brief dunks in water, but even though it is thin silicone, it still adds quite a bit of bulk to the fob, plus it makes it less "slippery" - e.g. it sometimes gets stuck in your pants' pocket when you try to pull it out, taking the fabric lining along for the ride... So, after a few months I chucked it. So far, the replacement key has held up well enough, no signs of the skin peeling off.

#6 ·
So far, the replacement key has held up well enough, no signs of the skin peeling off.
That's really good to hear.
I haven't been back to the dealer for 6+ months and I'm surprised that I didn't have more to report to him. I hate to jinx it, but other than the suspension thump, this has been my most reliable car ever. The dealer still maintains that the thumping noise is "normal". As much as I hate the thump, it doesn't really bother me anymore.

#7 ·
Hmmm, normal. It depends on his definition of normal. I may be the poster boy for that issue but as excessive as mine was, I have never heard it on the new rig. This one is polar opposite of the last one. No complaints, just a big smile each day where I'd curse a few times and feel miserable every day with the last one. It was a little more than a pile of junk parts :naughty:

#9 ·
No not yet. I just clocked 3600 miles on it. Am NY urban jungle as I type lol. Will be going off road before end of the year. I'll keep you posted if it develops an issue after an off-road excursion. First one I will go on will be LR endorsed one since am going to Camel in California next month. Already booked a day and I hope it will be fun. Also I have a sport booked and you use their cars, but am looking to apply what I learn to my own rig. All I can do is hope no issues on my new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.