RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst I've been attempting to tidy up my coolant lines I noticed the hose to the PCV valve seemed a little loose/free. It pulled straight out with the separator and the tube. It's pretty dirty and could do with replacing the separator.

I guess the tube should be fixed to the rocker cover? But I can't see how it was originally.
I've got a new separator here as I planned to change it when I get around to the rocker cover gaskets.

How are they usually fixed in?

·
Registered
487 Posts
V8? A short section of metal tube sticks up from the rocker cover. PCV sits inside there, and the hose just slides onto the metal tube. I have never had a clamp on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V8? A short section of metal tube sticks up from the rocker cover. PCV sits inside there, and the hose just slides onto the metal tube. I have never had a clamp on it.
Yes, sorry, forgot to mention my engine, it's a V8 Thor.

That is my problem, the metal tube with separator in it came up with the hose! Leaving me with just a hole in the rocker cover.
I'm wondering how the metal tube was originally attached to the rocker cover?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a small amount of gasket sealant on the plastic piece that pushed into the rocker cover and the oil separator pushes into the hose.
no clip on mine either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a small amount of gasket sealant on the plastic piece that pushed into the rocker cover and the oil separator pushes into the hose.
no clip on mine either.
Thanks. Yeah, I'll just push the pipe in as much as I can and put a smear of sealant around it then. Then oil separator and hose back on.

Mine does still have the clip, one of the style like on the air hoses, that needs popping with a screwdriver. I think someone previously must have pulled the hose without releasing the clip and that's why the metal tube is now free from the rocker cover!

At least with the tube being free, I can remove the old separator away from the engine, so no risk of it being stuck and losing anything into the rocker cover trying to extract it! :LOL:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I guess the end of the metal tube was originally probably "splayed" from the inside of the rocker cover. Replacement rocker cover shdnt be hard to come by

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It possibly was :)

I have swapped out the oil separator today, fitted the new one and then pushed the pipe back into the top of the rocker cover, it fitted nicely, so smeared a little gasket sealer around it for now.
Yeah, I might put new rocker covers on anyway when I get around to changing the gaskets.

Managed to get a 12 point socket set and just tightened the rocker covers up a bit for now after reading on here that they can become quite loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts