RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Trying to finish replacing PCV unit and assorted hoses after white smoke out tailpipe. Question: in the top rear of the PCV unit there appear to be two ports. Mine appears to have both ports blocked with caps, but on the RSW page about this, there is a picture of the unit showing the upper port closest to the oil separator having a long vacuum hose attached to it. My issue is, I cannot seem to find this hose. Is it possible that my 2005 RR didn't have this vacuum hose connected? Alternatively, if it must be in place, does anyone have any idea of a part number and where this hose is supposed to connect? Many thanks! -Mark

·
Registered
111 Posts
Both of mine where capped I have a 2005 as well. You only need to connect the 2 big hoses at the top and the small one that runs to the separator. While leaving the ports capped. lol I thought one was for the transmission breather hose:lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - first forum post ever. I am not a mechanic but am still in process of replacing my PCV/intake manifold cover on my 2004 L322. PCV is now off and new part is on the way, but the tiny little vacuum hose at the bottom of the PCV that runs under the manifold broke off. Two questions - (1) what is the part number for that hose, and (2) can anyone help explain where that hose ends up, e.g. direct to the oil separator (which I am also replacing).

THANKS much, in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Kurt D: The hose goes to the oil drain tube which runs down to the oil pan, it attaches up high into a hard pipe which is shared with another larger hose at the back of Bank 1 (the hose at the bottom of the oil separator feeds into the same hard pipe - replace this hose also). You can use standard oil resistance hose - bring a piece in to get the right size and trim to fit. That is what I did.

OP - the reason the PCV has the caps is that Range Rover deleted the secondary air pump in the USA after production. Some units were shipped capped, others deleted under service visits (that is what I have been told). All that extra stuff is remnants of the system and/or outfitted for other countries and/or BMWs.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
FWIW if your replacing the PVC plate its also a good idea to replace the orange silicone gaskets on the front and back of the manifold as well as the port gaskets.

NOTE take one of those cheesy PVC plate bolts to ACE and get 10mm cap head bolts and replace them,
the torx thingy has a habit of stripping then the bolt cant be removed unless the intake comes off BTDT

·
Registered
5 Posts
kg74 - thank you for help! It took me a while, but I replaced the PCV Valve and gasket, plus the Oil Separator, and all related hoses including the one you referred to. It was difficult but I thought worth the effort. I am not a mechanic and I have never attempted any kind of repair like this, so all help is very appreciated and needed...

UNFORTUNATELY, my work resulted in absolutely no effect. My 2004 HSE still starts, runs smooth for a couple seconds, then stalls. I smell fuel also. I already replaced the purge valve prior to changing the PCV valve and oil separator.

Can anyone suggest anything to help me figure out the problem and a possible fix? I'm just not a mechanic but I have done a lot of reading here on this job and I am pretty sure I did everything correctly.

There are two issues that I can't figure out, a harness coming from the left bank (sitting next to oil converter or "A" in photo, and a small white tube "B", that is part of a wiring harness running over the PCV valve. I can't figure out where either connects to or if they are even connected to anything.

20180411_141737.jpg

ANY help is much appreciated! I'm just close to throwing in the towel even though the wife and I both love the car (when it's running).

·
Registered
5 Posts
kg74 - thank you for the hose routing information, it was helpful.

After many hours researching and reading the proper steps to lead a non-mechanic through a PCV Valve replacement, I finished the job and also replaced the Oil Converter and all related hoses to both parts (including the hoses running back into the engine block below the oil converter). Unfortunately, after I thought I was finished and ready to roll, my RR started right up, idled smooth for a couple seconds, then stalled - with a moderate amount of gas odor. Exactly the same result as it was BEFORE I replaced the PCV valve and Oil converter (plus hoses).

There is no doubt in my mind that the hoses (bottom runs for sure) and PCV valve needed replacing, but the engine is still behaving the same way after the new parts. I still haven't figured out where 2 connections are (or if if they actually connected to anything), which I am hoping is the reason for the continuing problem with the start and stall after a second or two. The two connections are shown below in my photo - "A" is an electrical connection that runs from the left bank valve cover area, and "B" is a small white (hard plastic) tube that runs across the new PCV valve as part of another wiring harness:

20180411_141737.jpg

I am hoping that one of these connections is the reason for the continued start and stall problem that was/is related to the PCV valve code issues. Or something else that someone can illuminate me on???

HELP, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Kurt-
You can look for a Schrader valve on your fuel rail, the same sort of valve you put air in your tire with.
With the RR running, carefully check the pressure with the key turned on, but not yet started (the fuel pressure charged-up) and after you start it, to see if the pressure starts out stronger, but gets weak as it stalls. Be careful to shield the output from the Schrader valve when you press the center part, control the squirt! I usually have some sort of bottle positioned to catch the gas, or a rag.

As said above, could be your fuel pump and/or fuel filter.
Another possibility could be your MAF sensor, but that should throw it's own code if it is, so not likely.
My 2003 went through the same thing yours is doing about a year or more ago, and it was my fuel pump. Filter flowed good, but replaced it too anyway.

This week it's the MAF sensor...
Waiting on the replacement from Rock Auto, which should be here tomorrow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
that connector was for a heated blanket that was wrapped around the PVC pipes,
it was installed to prevent the PVC pipes from freezing then damaging the PVC plate.
The system blanket was deleted at some point the harness was not changed

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys are awesome! Thank you all for helping me understand what is going on. I will research and address as recommended by you, Mark! Has to wait until the weekend and decent weather, but that is why we have 3 cars when one is a R.R.

When the R.R. is down, we have a backup SUV - a good old Expedition that never fails to start and run.

Thank you all, again! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The Fords do seem to be more reliable. My '92 Explorer has yet to have any major problems or strand me. My RR having a radiator hose, suspension or other part fail is not a surprise anymore. They have just about the same miles under the wheels.

Not counting normal wear items - brakes & tires; the Ford's only needed a starter, back in... 97 maybe. On my RR I've replaced the front struts 3 times each side, the alternator, fuel pump, starter, had the cats welded, a few radiators, two water pumps, cooling hose sets twice, PCV "system" once, valve cover gaskets twice, and front timing cover gaskets once, valley pan, radio tuner, overhead console assembly, sunroof motor... And that's all I can think of right now.
It does keep me busier than your average vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ouch Mark, that is a LOT of work on your RR. Yeah our Expo is pretty much bullet proof other than normal wear and tear items. This is our 2nd Expedition - our first one had 255k before we got rid of it and even then, the 5.4L and tranny were smooth and quiet with no leaks. Juat wasn't purdy enough anymore lol.

Thanks for the help. I have NOT checked the fuel pump yet, but that is on my agenda when time permits. I plan on renting or borrowing a code reader so I can check what codes are new (or still) reading as faulty.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
And most recently - this week, the MAF sensor...
But that's over 10 years of custodianship of the RR.
I've had my trusty old Ford Explorer for 21 years though, which I did forget that I had my AC compressor replaced about 10 years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts