RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After searching through Rave and countless forum posts, I've conceded, so I'm here asking for some help. I've got a couple of separate issues I'm hoping you can all help with.
First, I'm trying to determine a part number for a vacuum line that is attached to the air intake tube. As you can see in the picture below, the vacuum line connection to the air intake tube has broken loose. I'm hoping this is related to a P1170 code I've been chasing for months. Both cat cons and all 4 O2 sensors have already been replaced. The dealership originally found a hairline crack in my passenger side cat, but refused to replace it, because I was just outside of the extended 120,000 cat warranty. I found a couple of aftermarket cats on eBay for $150 each and had those installed. Not bad considering the originals are worth half the value of my entire truck :)

RangeRoverVacuumLine.png

My second issue involves the PCV valve. I successfully replaced the valve last night, including the two breather tubes (#8510367, #8510366), the lower tube on the cyclonic oil separator (#LLH000110), and the vacuum line that attaches to the thin nipple on the lower side of the PCV valve (#LR003814). However, in RSW Solutions video on the PCV replacement, there is a vacuum line that attaches to an inlet on the PCV valve and is held in place with a yellow retaining clip. There are two of these inlets. The other one is capped off with a rubber end cap. When I removed my PCV valve, both inlets were capped off and no vacuum line attached. In fact, I can't find that vacuum line on my 2004. You can see the vacuum line I'm referring to in RSW's video starting at 2:03. What gives???

RangeRoverVacuumLine2.png

Thanks for your time everyone. All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
For your first bit... I broke that tube when pulling the pipe off. Glued a bit of stiff pipe in to the hole and the other end in to the clip part... worked fine ever since !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply davek! The entire clip is perished and beyond repair unfortunately, so it's going to be easier to just replace the part. I just can't find the part any where, so I might be calling the dealership tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Probably not going to help the 1170, were the aftermarket cats welded in or direct fit?

The nipple is part of the intake tube, not available separately, but can be 'repaired'.

The missing vacuum line is for Secondary Air Injection, which shouldn't be active on any L322s, and was only installed on the earlier ones. Put the caps on the new PCV valve just how they were.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update ***

According to rave, the vacuum line that attaches to the PCV valve is from the SAI (Secondary Air Injection) control valve. My truck doesn't appear to have this, which would explain why the vacuum line isn't attached to the PCV valve. Is it common for the 2002-2004 L322's to be missing this??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not going to help the 1170, were the aftermarket cats welded in or direct fit?

The nipple is part of the intake tube, not available separately, but can be 'repaired'.

The missing vacuum line is for Secondary Air Injection, which shouldn't be active on any L322s, and was only installed on the earlier ones. Put the caps on the new PCV valve just how they were.
Thanks for the reply! That explains the PCV valve missing the vacuum line from the SAI control valve.

The aftermarket cats were direct fit and then some type of exhaust sealing compound was used to connect them. I can't see any leaks, although I can certainly have an independent exhaust shop check it out. Here they are on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-4-4L-Catalytic-Converter-2003-2004-2005-Passenger-Side-/261040356163?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc737bb43&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Range-Rover-4-4L-Catalytic-Converter-2003-2004-2005-Driver-Side-/230804755257?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bd091339&vxp=mtr

As for the vacuum line coming from the air intake, I'll see if I can somehow connect a spare vacuum line from the nipple to the hard line. The hard line is missing the clip that is used to secure it to the nipple on the air intake, but I might be able Macgyver something together :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've replaced that air intake duct once after breaking that nipple...
Then I broke that one later.
I ended up using a threaded metal tube and sealant for a much more sturdy attachment.

As far as the cats, it would be cheaper to have an exhaust shop find the leak, they're pros at that, then weld the leak. Cats are too expensive, and otherwise last a long, long time unless you use poor fuel.
If you still have the originals, you could have them (or it) fixed at the leak, and use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've replaced that air intake duct once after breaking that nipple...
Then I broke that one later.
I ended up using a threaded metal tube and sealant for a much more sturdy attachment.

As far as the cats, it would be cheaper to have an exhaust shop find the leak, they're pros at that, then weld the leak. Cats are too expensive, and otherwise last a long, long time unless you use poor fuel.
If you still have the originals, you could have them (or it) fixed at the leak, and use.
My original plan was to have the OEM cats welded to fix the hairline cracks. Unfortunately, Wisconsin state law prevents tampering of any sort to the cats. Including a simple weld. Needless to say, every shop in my area turned down my request. Ridiculous!

Now, onto the air intake vacuum. Here's the Macgyver duct tape fix I came up with using random stuff in my garage. Please note the use of custom red cable ties. They add 2 HP and really clean up the engine bay :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: PCV question and part # needed. Please help, already se

I know this is an old post, but I am changing my PCV Valve and my 2004 Range Rover HSE had both sides capped. Is that correct? Or should it be like the video, with only one being capped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts