RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Due to the construction of the cap of the PCRV valve of the braking system the rubber o-ring is pushed outwards over time at the edge where it is not fully pressed down by the cap causing brake fluid to leak out. This PCRV valve is according to the WS manual a non serviceable item. I replaced mine with a new unit but I took appart the old unit and machined a new cap (with the same internal dimensions as the old cap)which I placed in the drilled out old cap before fitting it back with a new EPDM o-ring (ID is 22mm and 2 mm thick). This modification makes sure the problem will never reappear.

There are two cars in Malaysia now driving around with these modified PCRV valves for over 6 months without any problems.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
865 Posts
Under brake modulator to the left on RHD RR if Im not mistaken, damaged caused mainly due to lack of replacing brake fluid
and as we all know brake fluid loves to suck in moisture from the atmosphere and is worse in high humidty areas

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

The valve is limiting brake force towards the rear brakes and is located next to the brake booster unit. On the RHD verhicles it is under the coolingwater expansion tank.

The edge of one part of the cap is very small and over time and because of brake fluid pushing from the inside the o-ring slowly is pushed outwards and brake fluid starts leaking. The cap is used to keep the spring under pressure inside the valve so be carefull when opening. You need a special torx bit with the hole in the middle to take off the cap.

Regards

Jos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts