RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i had a leaking PCRV replaced in RR 2001, i refitted the replacement part and fill the reservoir with new oil over max level i pressed the pedal many times and drove the car in test drive the brake was good and firm but i am not sure if it does need to bleed the abs, i see the leak was in bypass from the abs module go to the PCRV and come back to the module i mean not direct in the pump stream or i am wrong in this assumption i wish not, bleeding the 4 hydraulic body is pain

and if i have to, can i use vacuum pump to suck the air at pipes end i mean the 4 wheels pipes at the module.
i am thinking about the - ve pressure will be replaced with air again when i remove the vacuum or i am wrong, anybody have experience in this procedure if it is successful.

thanks

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
270 Posts
There are a very specific set of steps you need to follow when bleeding the Wabco braking system. Have you RAVE?

·
Registered
270 Posts
"and if i have to, can i use vacuum pump to suck the air at pipes "

Why do that?! Why not have the brake pedal pressed down and have the booster pump push out any bubbles that might be in the system. Very handy, especially if you have beer line (clear flexi tube) , that slides snugly over the bleed screws so as to avoid spillage. Try keep the pipe below the surface line of the reservoir if you're trying this method.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for reply dhse i did it before with the 98 when i changed the accumulator i followed all the steps but i did it in garage as i lifted the car and young man stay up pushing the pedal when i told him following all instructions and it works successfully all 4 wheels the master cylinder bleeding was very easy no lifting required, i am try to find some how to make things easier may be i am wrong but realy working in car or under the car not easy specially with family man like me no time no effort remains to work in the car and workshops damaging more than repair the idea came to me so i ask if it done before i know it can work if the line being under negative pressure and i pushed the fluid but how to do it, if it works the bleeding job will be a one hand job.

·
Registered
270 Posts
One man job, when you place a bar between driver seat and brake pedal. Keep pedal depressed. Turn on ignition. Open each bleed screw, one at a time. All you need to do is ensure that the reservoir is kept above the minimum level. If that doesn't work you have other problems.
I have bled entire brake systems from being completely empty, all lines full of air. It's not easy but it is possible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can solve the man power problem but i wouldn't take the risk lifting the car at every wheel to reach the bleeding screw and i find my children with me under the car as they are very curious and interrupting. i prefer to to booking appointment with workshop when the lifter is empty ha ha.
but how the wood stick method shall work i think some smart pressing are required.

·
Registered
270 Posts
but how the wood stick method shall work i think some smart pressing are required

All the "wood pressing" does is open up the valve in order for brake booster pressure to reach each of the bleed screws. You can remove one wheel at a time so as to maintain some safety with the kids.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i swear i like your practical thought thanks for the idea you are right i read in the instruction before that u have to press slowly and progressively mentioned like that but i am not aware of hydraulic system too much if these valves inside the valve block are on/off hydraulic valve or linear with pedale press, as i think in some cases we press light break and sometimes we need hard break(sudden stop) i will search for its symbols as showed in rave drawings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts