RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about purchasing a 2002 HSE from back east and shipping it to California. The vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it. Anyone here have any experience with trying to smog an out of state Range Rover?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Passing CA Smog Check for Range Rover purchased out of state

I believe if you open the hood the sticker somewhere in front of the radiator should tell you if it passes California and Federal emissions........ mine says it passes both I am guessing they all do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bumping this question - I have the very same. Were all US P38s set up with 50-state emissions system?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yes, emissions all the same. Running properly with good cats and you will easily pass the CA smog numbers. My last test actually prompted the tech to comment on how clean it burns for a 150k vehicle. My cats are about the same age as yours, the were replaced on a recall at around 100k.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Shipping it????
2 words: Road Trip!:dance:

Ca smog should be no worries.
As has been stated, the all meet all standards.
50k? Cool!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Unless they changed the law after I moved out of CA, you are allowed to bring in a 49-state truck that is not compliant with CA emissions into CA, provided it has more than 7500 miles on the odometer. The smog place can tell by the VIN what emissions the truck is expected to comply with. The CA smog Nazis check that your monitors are in ready state (i.e. if you extinguished "check engine light" you need to drive for 50-100 miles before smog check). They won't give you a smog certificate if you have any aftermarket emissions-related parts, unless they have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) EO# (Exemption Order) number.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I brought a few vehicles from Chicago to Ca, and they needed a new cat as the salt destroyed them. On my 1996 dodge pickup the rust ate the whole thing out(1 cat).
New converter then passed. Now on my Range rover (97) with FOUR cats it seems to pass CA easily. As long as you don't have any misfire codes it should be OK.
My Rover is a CA rover but as they say it is the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
xrav22
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing