RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 RR and today the passenger side door decided to stay close. The locks seem to work (when I click the remote or inside push button the little black knob on the door sticks up and down and I hear the click noise). But I can't open the door either from inside or outside. Any ideas? All other doors are working fine. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? I disconnected the battery and reconnected hopping to reset any electrical issue. No use. The door is stuck closed. Don't want to take it to the dealer who is 100 miles away. Any input?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would call the dealer and talk with a service adviser, see how they have dealt with that in the past. Another option would be to take it to an independent service center that specializes in Land Rover, see what they have to say.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news!!! I solved the problem myself! I had called the dealer after unsuccessfully tried 3 local locksmiths who were afraid of touching this. I had an appointment next day and this evening i tried to do something. I pried opened the Airbag logo from the passenger door after disconnecting the battery. I inserted a coat hanger end through the hole and pushed and "CLICK" the latch opened. I don't know what happened but it is working fine now. Man, I am so relieved. these little weird things makes an otherwise great truck embarrassing. Thanks for the suggestions.

D

·
0 Posts
DocJoseph said:
Good news!!! I solved the problem myself! I had called the dealer after unsuccessfully tried 3 local locksmiths who were afraid of touching this. I had an appointment next day and this evening i tried to do something. I pried opened the Airbag logo from the passenger door after disconnecting the battery. I inserted a coat hanger end through the hole and pushed and "CLICK" the latch opened. I don't know what happened but it is working fine now. Man, I am so relieved. these little weird things makes an otherwise great truck embarrassing. Thanks for the suggestions.
Good move! can you spray and luber in there?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
DocJoseph said:
...I inserted a coat hanger end through the hole and pushed and "CLICK" the latch opened. I don't know what happened but it is working fine now. Man, I am so relieved. these little weird things makes an otherwise great truck embarrassing. Thanks for the suggestions.
One thing to check, Doc-
The top of the door panel began to seperate from the aactual door panel (interior) on mine some time ago. That cause lateral force on the lock button, causing it to stick more & more frequently. The way I could tell is by noticing a gap that appeared between the leather part of the door panel & the black strip at the top, that rests against the window. I removed the door panel to find that the panel was debonded from the panel frame, all along the top. It was pretty easy to rebond with some Loctite 2-part epoxy, & let it cure. Not the panel is sollid & secure again. The lock works fine.

Examine the top of your door panel, along the window, where the leather part meets the black strip. If it looks like it's seperating (especially back by the lock button), you may have the same problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info. I am planning to take apart the door panel this weekend and see anything is wrong. I sprayed some lubricant to the lock after it is opened. Anyway everything works okey now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts