RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking the RRS HSE back to the dealership tomorrow.

The carpet on the front passenger (right) side is soaked!

It's definitely water -- not oily; no smell.

There is nothing dripping from under the glove box.

My only guess: condensation from the air conditioner not draining properly?

Has anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let us know

Hey, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it is a quick fix - sounds like it should be.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved. Easy fix.

As suspected, it was indeed condensation from the air conditioner.

The problem and how it was fixed were somewhat surprising.

There is a tube from the air conditioner that runs along the firewall to the underside of the car, to drain the condensation.

This tube is not a long, continuous one, but rather it is two pieces. To my surprise, the two pieces of the tube connect behind a panel accessable from inside the car in the passenger-side leg well.

I'll try to describe the location (on a left-side drive, US car) of the access panel. It is under the glove box, where the floor carpeting rises up to cover the transmission cowling/hump. If you put your elbows on the floor of the passenger side, you can see (easier with a flashlight) a carpet-covered panel on the transmission cowling under the glove box (sort of where the passenger's left calf would be). You can pry this panel off rather easily. It is held on by plastic clips behind the panel.

Once you remove the panel, you can see where the condensation drainage tube is supposed to attach. On my car, the tube was there, but it was a bit off to the side and not connected. It apparently never was connected, and it did not appear to have worked itself loose. As a result, the air conditioner's condensation drained from the underside of this panel into the carpet.

The situation was caught in time, with no permanent harm. I can imagine, however, that if you did much driving with the AC on but without a front-seat passenger, a lot of water could collect in the passenger side carpet and get moldy before it was noticed.

The purpose of this two-part drainage hose, and the panel, apparently, is to allow access to the condensation drainage hose in the event it ever became clogged with dirt/debris/etc (maybe through a lot of off-roading).

Because my car's drainage hose was never connected at the factory (apparently), this problem should not carry a very high risk of recurrence on other cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After all it's a Land Rover thing.
I had the same problem with my Disco I in 1999 and with my RRC in 1994.
They will never learn it but that's what make the character of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just read SoCal thread as I have a very wet passagers foot well... I have found the tube under the carpet but it looks like its connected ok. but I have not removed the full carpet so can't be sure what happening lower down under the carpet.. does anyone know were the tube exits under the car ? so I can try to clear it out in case its blocked?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for the follow up SoCal !! It's always nice when People take the time to post solutions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
??? SoCal has got me started but I wonder if anyone know were the tube exits under the car ? so I can try to clear it out in case its blocked?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
The sunroof drain tube exits behind the passenger side functioning air vent...you have to remove the air vent, then you will see a rubber tube with a crimped end on it...open that up, clean out the gunk, pour water on the to the sunroof until the water flows smoothly...

Best also to let that area air out thoroughly as a sopping passenger area can cause corrosion on the copper wires in the harness...and other problems will pop...for example, the passenger window won't open anymore using the 4 way window button on the driver's door!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The sunroof drain tube exits behind the passenger side functioning air vent...you have to remove the air vent, then you will see a rubber tube with a crimped end on it...open that up, clean out the gunk, pour water on the to the sunroof until the water flows smoothly...

Best also to let that area air out thoroughly as a sopping passenger area can cause corrosion on the copper wires in the harness...and other problems will pop...for example, the passenger window won't open anymore using the 4 way window button on the driver's door!

Thanks for your help, but I am in the uk, no sunroof must RRS do not have them here.. Anyway I am still looking for a way to check a/c is draining correctly at this point

Best

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may have a fixed the problem, I found the hose were SoCal said it was under the small bit of carpet on the main console , its about 4" of carpet put that off there is a small rubber tube with a thumb grip to remove it from the a/c down pipe.. I could not unblock it with a wire or coat hanger to I put a 5tlr garden spray on there (as it happen the rubber hose is perfect garden hose size) I had my son look under the car and tried the spray it all came back in my face.. so i tired again and held the tube very tight.. it started to go down the tube and after a couple of sec water started to flow from under the car.. I did the same on the driver side but I have only been able to get a face full of water the once. no matter how much pressure I up it the garden spray it just flows from under the car now..

fingerX I am drying the car out and will update you all in a week or so..

Bes

Andy

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have this problem.
A about to tackle it.
Do you have pictures of this?
I am going through the servise instructions and they tell me to change all drain tubes

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is this the a/c drain tube?
If it is, then its the drain tubes ffrom the sunroof because the tube is on and the pollen filter is dry.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,455 Posts
Already told you Fat...that it's the sunroof drain tube...scroll back up a few messages and you'll see the guidance there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Apologies if my search-foo has failed me. Where does the circled tube above empty? Do I need to take armor off?

06 - Floor board carpet was soaked. I located the above tube in the cabin, used some pipe cleaners to try to push through the blockage at the other end, not sure if I was successful or not.

Do I need to remove armor to get to the nipple on the other end?

Thanks,

JAB

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'll ask the question another way as it looks like I will need to replace the tube. Does anyone know the part number for this drain tube? I tried my google-fo and came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts