RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, the passenger front shock absorber of my Td6 is noisy : when lowering or moving up, it works by step and made a strange thud. And it's the same when I drive on road. Both shock absorbers are new (Dunlop). Any idea of what it can be?
Chris.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I'd say, if the struts are new OEM units, it's a bushing.
You'll have to do some investigating with a pry bar and an assistant you trust.
Get under the rig, with it on drive on ramps if you have them, and have an assistant raise and lower the rig. You'll be able to feel the clunk in the correct bushing. If nothing shows there, start prying on the bushes, see which one is loose.

Martin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Martin, worn bushes was my first idea. But when I saw the shock absorber moving by step, well it let me perplexed... Drive on ramps to raise and lower the car is a very good idea (my wife gone be happy to play with the suspension button ;) ). I hope it's just a faulty bush, not a faulty absorber. I will do that test during the WE and let you know if I find something wrong (it's a Range Rover with 155000 miles, so I will be surprised not to find a faulty thing).
Chris.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I've replaced pretty much every bushing on the wife's, but it has over 200k now.
I use the plastic drive on ramps, cheap and very handy for getting some height while keeping a load on the tires/wheels/suspension.
Keep us posted mate.

Martin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did all the test I can (on the Range, not on my wife) to find a faulty bush but nothing wrong under the car. It's really the strut making noise and go up and down by step. It's probably a brand new faulty one /:(. I'll remove it during my holidays in order to understand what happen and try to have an exchange from the seller.

Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts