RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - So my new range rover came with a faulty door lock and now's about time I get a hold on what I have to do to fix it. The latch was replaced before I bought it, but I guess it wasn't done properly because when I try to lock all the doors (from inside or outside the car), the passenger door may or may not lock. This is very frustrating and will cause the alarm to go off if it doesn't unlock (move up) when all the other doors unlock themselves and I try to get in... usually leads me to manually unlocking that door and causing a scene for those around me while I get into my car. Also, my tailgate won't unlock unless the passenger lock is truly unlocked.

I figure I have to remove the door panel as described in the door latch replacement guide, but could this simply be a faulty connection somewhere? I've heard of switches/microswitches and I'm wondering about what these are and what I'll need to fix this door.

Much appreciated!

Rafael

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I read that I should remove the negative lead from the battery... but how can I test the lock works before re-installing the door panel?

·
Registered
129 Posts
rbarrero said:
how can I test the lock works before re-installing the door panel?
Can't really help you with the door lock, but once you take the panel off, just reconnect the battery and test it? The door panel doesn't have to be on for the lock to work...

·
Registered
72 Posts
rbarrero said:
the passenger door may or may not lock.
This sounds like the little motor that drives the lock/unlock mechanism is weak, but a poor connection is possible.

Having been a locksmith in a former lifestyle, I've been in a lot of car doors. The p38 is one of the easiest to deal with. Just take your time and pay attention.

I'd never even consider disconnecting the battery for this. Leave the ignition off as you'll be disconnecting some speakers.

Good Luck
Joel.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You should check that the inside lock button is free to move in the door panel. The button is threaded onto the rod and if it's not lined up right it will rub on the door panel. It should be quite loose when you operate it manually. I know, I found out the hard way.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
491 Posts
Removing the door card and lock unit is very straightforward. There really is no need to disconnect the battery - that is a real overkill for this sort of job ........... unless you are so ham-fisted you can short out the pins on a connector plug!!Disassembly of the lock unit is also straightforward, just be careful that the guts don't spill out when you separate the two halves of the housing. Take a few photos of the inside of the mechanism (BTW, that's what camera phones were invented for :wink: ) before you dismantle so you can reassemble properly. Then just disassemble, clean and reassemble with a spot of white grease (or graphite) on the obvious items that require it. I had to do my passenger door lock when the superlocking failed - turned out to be a broken plastic 'arm' inside the lock unit - 'araldited' it back together expecting it to be a only temporary fix and its still going strong some four years later :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: UPDATE

So I mustered up the courage to remove the RH Front door panel on my '99 bosch range rover and was able to do it without too much trouble. However, once inside I did not see any obvious or glaring problem causing my unlocking issue. The wiring looked good, all connectors were connected, the locking-lever mechanism worked too... the single black wire had been cut previously, but was spliced together decently. I did make an interesting observation:

I noticed that when I pushed the lock down on the RH Front door, the two rear doors would lock or unlock, but not the LF Front door (my driver door). Alternatively, when I lock the LH Front (my driver door), the rear two door also lock but not the RH Front door (my passenger door). My key will unlock 3 of the four doors... but I need them all to unlock!!

Thoughts anyone?? Thx in advance!

Rafael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts