RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The passenger door of my Range Rover (p38, 1999) doesn't open anymore when I unlock the car with the remote or with the key. It also not possible to manually unlock the door by lifting the sill button.

Luckily I can unlock the passenger door using the Nanocom. But then again, when I lock the car with the remote fob, the passender locks but doen't unlock.

For now the solution is to leave the car unlocked and I suppose I need to replace the latch. But what puzzles me is that the latch does respond to the nanocom but not to the key/ fob. I suppose the signal from the key fob is processed by the BECM that sends a signal tot the outstation to unlock the latch and that it isn't any different from the command send by the nano com.

So is it really the latch that needs replacing or am I facing something else?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

Geert-Jan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sort the latch before you can no longer unlock it with Nanocom. Chances are you are simply engaging the motor for longer on a mechanism that's already worn out. Also Nanocom does not have a specific Lock-Unlock option. Instead it can engage & test the solenoids, but BlackBox are quite specific in their warnings.

When you say "superlocked", are you actually doing this by pressing fob twice ? Superlocking is a two step process. First fob press engages the lock. Second press within 1.5 seconds activates the 2nd motor in the latches and moves the SL pawl which disengages the manual button.

When unlocking a "superlocked" car you simply press unlock button once. Same process applies when using the key in the door.

·
Super Moderator
2,986 Posts
Agree it may just be a bit sluggish so the pulse from the BeCM isn't long enough to unlock it but the Nano doesn't send a pulse but a continuous signal until you stop it. The motors can get sluggish but usually only need a squirt of contact cleaner and spinning back a forth with a 12V supply to get them moving properly again.

I always superlock my car despite everyone saying it's a bad idea. Unless superlocked the internal ultrasonic sensors aren't activated so why wouldn't you?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear PWood and Richard,

Thank you for sharing this information, I now understand why the latch responds tot the nano com signal but not to the remote.

I am currently on holiday and not in a position to replace the latch, but as a precaution I will remove the doorpanel so I can easily acces the latch in case someone accidentally locks the car.

@PWood, you're correct, I assumed it was superlocked since the latch doesn't respond to the sill button. I realize this might be an incorrect conclusion.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts