RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 month ago, purchased a 2014 RRS Supercharged with 35k. It was meticulously maintained with all service records. 2 weeks ago, noticed the air bag light stayed on after startup. Took it in on Thursday 4/25 after scheduling an appointment at my local dealership. I also mentioned a rattle from drivers side speaker and squeaky brakes.

Service advisor called and said the speaker was blown and would be replaced under CPO. Brakes were due to rotors needing to be replaced and rust on front rotors (advised to replace in the near future?)

He advised that the airbag light continuously on was due to a bad sensor/wiring harness. He stated that was NOT covered under CPO and would cost about $1,200 to fix. He said the computer is confused on detecting if a passenger is or isn’t in the seat and whether or not it should deploy the airbag if an accident occurred.

We (service advisor, his shop and I) agreed that it was pretty ridiculous that a blown speaker is covered under CPO and not a serious safety issue such as airbag sensor/monitor and deployment.

He said in his 25 years that he’s never seen airbag parts covered under extended warranties or CPO’s (but they are covered under original manufacturer warranty)

I called Land Rover customer care and they opened a case on my issue. While they leave the decision of “what is covered up to the dealer” they offered to have a case manager call me back to at the very least discuss financial assistance in the repair.

Question: Anyone have experience with this issue? And what kind of resolution did you get?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked up my RRS from the dealer yesterday after having front speakers replaced under CPO warranty. Land Rover corporate said the passenger airbag wiring harness is not covered under warranty (long story). “Passenger seat harness shot...” was official diagnosis.

Was looking to see how accessible the harness is under the passenger seat by moving seat all the way back and all the way up. Sat in the passenger seat and then decided to start it up...airbag light is now off. Started up again 30 min later and airbag light goes off as normal.

Is there reason to be concerned that the passenger airbag would not be deployed if involved in an accident since it used to stay on permanently?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,083 Posts
Had this exact same issue come up last year, dealer "fixed it" by disconnecting the sensor, cleaning it, and reconnecting.

Did fine for probably 8 months or so, then it came back up again. Previously before the dealer "fixed it", I would notice that when I had a passenger, the light would not come back on for a few days, but it would always come back. However, with this second go-round after a passenger was in the seat, the airbag light has stayed off now for a couple of months.

I have an extended warranty and the dealer never mentioned that it would be something I would have to pay for. I had made an appointment to address it again before it went away, so I cancelled the appointment,

I don't think there would be an issue with the airbag working as long as the light remains off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2014 RRS and the dealer replaced mine under CPO without question. I'd question this or find another dealer to work with.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
49 Posts
I had (have) a similar issue except that the Airbag lights up 'Off' for few seconds even when a passenger is seated. It turns to 'ON' removing and putting the seat belt back. It's intermittent. I've taken it to dealer couple of times and they said may be the weight of the passenger is not heavy enough for the Airbag to turn ON. Well, I had a 180 pounds person sit there well and have had that issue. Haven't seen the issue in a long time now but have seen when my son (100 pounds) sits there, but again it's intermittent. Every time my son sits there I keep an eye on the Airbag light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts