RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow P38 owners, Scotty here, I would like to run an idea by you all and get some advice.
I recently started looking for spare parts on the internet new and used for my P38 and I was truley amazed by the cost of the used parts for sale on E-Bay. I live in California, I have access to P38 Rangi parts cars. My thought was this, what if I bought a couple of parts cars and made these parts available to all of you for a fair price, NOT WHAT THE MARKET WILL BARE but a fair price. Look, I went to a wrecking yard today and I bought a complete sunroof assembly in great condition, 10% light rust sanded out and it's in perfect condition. The motor was recently replaced, I paid 60.00 bucks for it. This item will go in my Rangi, the question is what would you pay for it? What is a fair price? What I want you all to know is, I don't need the money. I have a great job. Don't misunderstand a little more cash can't hurt, but I'm not in it for the money. I have givin and or sold parts to several of you, some of you know what I mean by a fair price. My issue is, I am sick and tired of watching P38 owners get ripped-off when they need a part that they can't afford! I really love the P38. I enjoy working on the car in my spare time. The more I work on the parts cars or the wrecked cars, the more I get to learn about my car. What parts do you need? I go almost every day before and after work. What should I stock for you, how should I sell it to you, how much should I mark it up, ( travel time, part removal time, shipping cost) , what's A FAIR PRICE? Is every situation different? I really don't like the pay before you get the part world we live in, so give me other options. You get the part, then send me a check if it works for you, or just send the part back? I really don't know, please give me your feed back.

Thanks

Scotty

p.s. If I was not going to use the sunroof, I would sell it for a 20.00 dollar profit....just food for thought...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mag you need a mini-van :lol: :lol:
What are your thoughts about my little adventure here?

Scotty

G

·
0 Posts
Thats very generous of you. I'm interested as I dont have any junkyards around here and the price of some parts are still ridiculous. I'm looking for a drivers side door, LH rear door outside handle, and the plastic trim pieces on either side of the loadspace area in saddle or black. The doors not that big of a deal as I bet shipping would be pricey, but if you can get the other parts that would be fantastic, just let me know what the prices are. Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Max, all the parts you speak of are available 5 min from my house. The inside of the car is saddle, the body is complete, handles and the trim your speaking of are there and look really good, the Rangi is that really dark green green. I'll pick the parts up for you in the a.m...

Scotty

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I actually think it's a great idea. Not too many scrappers around here, and even less P38's around.

Maybe start a list of what people need, then take a trip to the yard twice a month or so. Charge cost + 10%....$10 minimum per part?

+ shipping of course.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mag.

Scotty

·
Registered
139 Posts
I need the black plastic part that has the 2 lights for the license plate. It screws up on the upper tailgate. I replaced it once, but cracked the new one. I wish they were more sturdy. I don't need the wiring or bulbs, just the black plastic housing. How much for one of those? thanks, mark j.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I will take a drivers side rhino seat! You can make it my Christmas present :D I have never seen any other rhinos in person other than mine and parts trucks are not easy to come by around here either. Most of the time I have to buy genuine new or from ebay.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
mark jeansonne said:
I need the black plastic part that has the 2 lights for the license plate. It screws up on the upper tailgate. I replaced it once, but cracked the new one. I wish they were more sturdy. I don't need the wiring or bulbs, just the black plastic housing. How much for one of those? thanks, mark j.
I need that same part. Mine cracked in the sub zero Chicago weather a couple years ago when the struts were also bad. :doh:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
As we discussed Scotty, an excellent idea mate.
Remember though, you HAVE to charge for your time. I dont mean $50+ an hour, but you need to make it worth your while for the time to get the parts and ship them etc.
I applaud you wanting to help fellow RR owners out my friend! :thumb:

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input Martin. Ok this is what I learned today, I went to the wrecking yard to pull the parts for a few request I received, I'm sure you will all find this very intresting. Max, asked me for a drivers door I didn't pull this yet but my cost is $55.00 He asked for the trim right and or left hand side of the load area and the LH rear door handle outer only. My cost of the trim panel is $4.99 each, these are the large panels that cover the area where you would find the defrost relay on one side and the base speaker on the other, top panels and they are in great shape. The door handle cost me $1.99 these cost do not have travel or labor nor do they include the $2.00 entry fee. Ok here's where it gets crazy, Max if you lived in Washington the cost to ship these parts to you would be $25.00 which brings my out of pocket exspense to $38.97 travel and labor not included. So what should I charge Max, these parts are already getting exspensive.
Please tell me if this is a service that you all want and or need. This is a service I am willing to provide to you, all I ask, is that you help me to determine what I should charge you. Then we will need to determine how you will pay me.

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
You will have to come up with a minimum Scotty. If you spent @2hrs going the scrappers, getting the parts, and getting home, then only you can say what that time is worth. At the risk of doing myself out of money in the future, asking the people who will be your customers how much to charge is kind of silly mate.... :lol: I dare say if I asked my customers what I should charge, they would be real generous, not.
If that order came to $38.97, then I dont think asking at least $60 is unreasonable. Still is very cheap for the parts too.
As far as payment goes, Paypal would be my first suggestion. Just be sure to add @3% to the total to cover the fee's.
Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I here ya Martin, I'm thinking $22.00 an hour with a 1 hour minimum that covers the 2.00 entry fee and pays me $20.00 buck an hour. I think I can live with that. 8)

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Sounds MORE than fair to me mate!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool thanks Martin..

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok process refind, all parts will be sold at my cost, there will be shipping charges and my service fee will be $22.00 per hour with a one hour minimum. I will set up a Pay Pal account until then you can send me a money order. Please remember I don't make up the shipping charges. PLEASE make sure I know exactly what part you need, remember these parts are coming from a wrecking yard and or a parts car. I will only sell good working parts!!!

Scotty

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Scotty,

Nice of you to do such a thing. mmm... Do you have any diesels there? If so i'm interested in a breather hose & the injectors.

BTW if you come across 18" hurricane wheels, please let me know. I need one for my spare wheel. I had 16" & managed to swap them several months ago. Bought 4 set rims+ brand new tires (Only done about 200 miles max) for 775USD. So in need of just one more.

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I can get you the wheel I'll make a call on Monday about the hose and injectors.
I posted and add, on the P38 sale wanted forum..

Thank You

Scotty

1 - 20 of 40 Posts