Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, So I think my parking system has broken on my 2003 RR it used to work as it should but now when I put it in reverse there a a long high pitched tone then nothing after that even if I am within an inch of an object. The light on the dash has started to flash too if that is any concern. I looked through my owners manual but it just says for me to bring it to the dealership. I know on old BMW's that use the same system to my knowledge when there is three chimes it means one of the sensors are dead and you can detect that sensor by putting your ear up to it and not being able to hear a rapid clicking. Unfortunately I am unaware of what the solid long chime means. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I am hoping to figure this problem out before selling the car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
the tone means one or more sensors have gone bad, I have no clue about the dash light though I never heard of bad parking sensors setting off dash lights. Or at least I have never seen it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The solid long chime and the flashing light are just to let you know it is not working, so you don't back into an obstacle, thinking that it is working. You have either a bad sensor, or a short in one of the harnesses. I can't hear the sensors click, as my hearing is probably ruined in the high range from years of flying, but a kid probably could.

The harness shorts come from somebody removing a bumper and not routing the harness back into the rubber when it gets reinstalled. Eventually the wires rub through and short on the inner metal bumper. Easy to fix, although it takes 30 minutes or so to remove the rubber bumper...and you have to figure out which end of the car it is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Theres a DIY on youtube to diagnose which sensor is bad , you put the car in reverse to activate the sensors , have someone go around the car and put there ear to each sensor on the bumpers the one that is not making a clicking sound is the faulty one , weather it be a faulty sensor or bad connection easy DIY.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it. If I do find a bad sensor or harness where would be a good place to shop for a replacement? I've heard or seen Atlantic British and Rover Land floating around the forums are these the places I should be looking at?

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,076 Posts
its probably just a broken wire check the wire routing before buying parts\
the rear main sensor harness is on the RR side of the bumper\
look to see if its securly connected to the main harness connector

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
While we are on this subject, the front ones on my landy do not work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the back ones due than it is most likely a harness or control module from what I have learned

·
Registered
887 Posts
My car was doing exactly as you describe. The system is supposed to partially work with the failure of a single sensor. If it does not work at all, it is likely a short in the harness.

I was foolish enough to replace the ECU...no help.

I finally took the rear bumper off and the cause was obvious...someone had removed and replaced the bumper and crimped the harness between the bumper and metal, allowing it to fray and short out. The bumper has molded grooves in which to run the harness wires, but without being careful, you can miss the fact they are not in the grooves as the bumper goes back on.

The repair took 40 minutes total to remove and replace the bumper, and $.02 in electrical tape.

I still have an extra ECU!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car was doing exactly as you describe. The system is supposed to partially work with the failure of a single sensor. If it does not work at all, it is likely a short in the harness.

I was foolish enough to replace the ECU...no help.

I finally took the rear bumper off and the cause was obvious...someone had removed and replaced the bumper and crimped the harness between the bumper and metal, allowing it to fray and short out. The bumper has molded grooves in which to run the harness wires, but without being careful, you can miss the fact they are not in the grooves as the bumper goes back on.

The repair took 40 minutes total to remove and replace the bumper, and $.02 in electrical tape.

I still have an extra ECU!!
My system doesn't work at all just as you described so I will definitely have to check the wiring throughout the car which I was afraid of. hopefully it's not too time consuming, I will post back with my findings as soon as I solve the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts