RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all Just bought myself a set of parking sensors from Maplin £20.00p uk with four sensors nice little kit audio and visual problem is i would like to mount the audio/visual unit in front of the rubber coin tray so the wiring can go under the rubber mat and not leave a hole in the dash thing is, there is metal plate under the tray but i dont know if i drill through the plate am i going to cut through anything else can anyone help Best Regards sillyboy

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=265097

If this is the one you bought, it looks very similar to the one I ordered off eBay last week. There was a thread on parking sensors recently where number of people have installed the display unit on the inside of the tail gate so it can be view via the rear view mirror.
I was thinking of doing the same to avoid running wires to the front and dash clutter. From what I hear, the buzzer can be heard from the back.
Sorry this doesn't answer your question but may be worth a try.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Only thing immediately under your dash pad is your center vent plumbing. My dash is drilled there plus wiring for my center instrument cluster.

·
Registered
865 Posts
desertboy said:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=265097

If this is the one you bought, it looks very similar to the one I ordered off eBay last week. There was a thread on parking sensors recently where number of people have installed the display unit on the inside of the tail gate so it can be view via the rear view mirror.
I was thinking of doing the same to avoid running wires to the front and dash clutter. From what I hear, the buzzer can be heard from the back.
Sorry this doesn't answer your question but may be worth a try.

Ditto, I concur.
Rear middle top, if you do make sure the wiper motor cover dont knock on it.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to all The Mod. No. is A61JJ the four sensors are installed "A" "B" "C" "D" this gives left hand side and right hand side showing green lines and distance of that side the when at an angle to the other car ect. I dont feel that the audio tone would be loud enough for me to hear if i place it at the rear of the rangie so i'll go ahead and place it on the dash not only that it looks like O.E. in that position. I'll let you know how i get on . Best regards sillyboy East London.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi to all, Re drilling the top of the dash under the rubber coin tray in answer to my own question “NO” the heating duct for the face vents runs directly that position, so I have now mounted my parking sensor display on top of the switch panel, with regards to finding the reversing light switch line although all the wires in the loom are all white if you remove the parcel tray support panel and then remove the support trim you will find under the felt, connector No. C306 fixed to the bodywork the wire you want is No. 5 Green/Brown you might want to do a light bulb test. ignition position. 11 select reverse bulb should light you’ve found the right wire, I still have the joy of installing the sensors but I’m nearly there. I also managed to fix the rear seat release button while I was in there. Best Regards sillyboy

·
Registered
550 Posts
Top of the switch panel sounds like a good place to install the display. what did you take off to run the wires from the back? I know I tapped the reversing wire from the BCM from under the passenger seat for my reversing camera display. Doesn't your reversing sensor control module where everything plugs in live close to the tail gate? If that is the case, shouldn't you tap the wire from one of the reversing lights?
I got my sensors from Hong Kong couple of days ago and if I get a chance I might install it over the weekend.

Good luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi to all re wiring for parking sensors I removed the switch panel after first disconnecting the battery I run the wires down behind the radio etc. came out along the top of the tunel droped down under the seat to the out side edge tucked the wiring under the foot plate along both doors up under the plastic cover aside the rear seat removed the parcel shelf support and support cover picked up the reverse light wiring and made a new earth to the bodywork the plugin unit will live behind the support cover as yet i have not installed the sensors but weather permiting wil do that on Monday good luck with yours but take your time and make sure you remove the two screws in the top of the binacal cover when i removed mine i found some kind sole had leavered the cover off so now i have to make a repair to that also.
Best Regards sillyboy

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks SB. Didn't get a chance to do the sensors today. Instead replaced the Crank seal to stop an ongoing oil leak I had for couple of months. I've been working on a new switch unit to house a 7" computer touch screen for a while and I may end up putting the Reversing Camera display and the sensor display on it instead.
Let me know how the supplied hole cutter work for you? Mine looks like its good for a single hole.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi to all, Well i've just installed my parking sensors the system is up and running but I'm not a happy bunny, sighting the sensors under the bumper is giving a faulse reading, the bleeps are continuous and a reading of .5mm remains regardles of there being nothing behind me, I think that the sensors are picking up the main bumper overhang and also the exhust so the next job is to start again and install the sensors into the main bumper "be warned"
Best Regards silly, silly, sillyboy

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi db I though of that but I'm looking into finding a sounder to fit the hole maybe a couple of panel lamps and two sounders, Maplins do a sounder that plays seven tunes " the yellow rose of texas " should make people aware that I'm reverseing have to wait and see on that one, but onwards upwards as they say . Best Regards Sillyboy

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi really sorry under bumper hasn't worked out for you - I did that and posted the piccies showign exactly where they are mounted, years ago I had an 'electro-magnetic' sensor strip system garage fitted to my MPV and as soon as the tow ball was attached it was useless... the ultrasonic systems we are all now using need some careful measuring - I used duck tape (gaffer tape) to tmporaily mount them on the surface of the bumper taking care the angle was accurate -- tested for an hour or so moving towards fixed items then gettign the kids (wifey refused for some reason) to walk behind me (bear in mind it was in reverse to power up the unit) and I'd actaully got the positioning spot on first time - I can get down to 6 inches which is the point the LCD screen (I have the clip on camera screen) stops measuring and with the tow bar overhang leaves me about 10mm before hitting the object - close or what!! Oh and I didn't plug in the sounder as a) I have the mirror which gives me a graphical display & b) it's too loud! Maybe for once in my life I've just been lucky??

ps how do I spell check (can I?) without having to read every message through again before submitting?

·
Registered
550 Posts
For spell checking, if you use the Firefox Browser go to Tools->Options-> advance -> Browsing -> Check my spelling as I type.

That should do it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi to all, the on going saga of my parking sensors is over, I moved all the sensors from beneath the bumper to the top of the bumper and held them in place with masking tape then had a reversing session to make sure everything was ok, next job remove all the wiring and sensors then drill the bumper the idea was to cut the hole in the plastic bumper with the cutter provided then open up the hole in the metal part of the bumper with a cone cutter the cutter I had was marked “HSS” now in most countries this means “high speed steel” but in China it seems to mean “Hardly suitable for steel” it burnt out just looking at the hole, luckily I have a good tool shop near me where I bought a set of three “HSS” cone cutters at £ 12.50p these lived up to their claim and the job was done, one thing I did find was that due to the thickness of the plastic and the steel plate the clips on the sensors tended to push sensor out of the hole so I used supper glue to hold them in place, every thing now working spot on, as for the holes in the under bumper I’m going to fill them with clear panel lamps to come on with the reversing lights. Good luck to all of you contemplating this operation but do place the sensors in the main bumper. Best Regards sillyboy

·
Registered
669 Posts
Great news you've found a positive solution ---- not sure re the additional reversing lights - haven't got the UK MOT manual to hand but seem to recall white lights to the rear of a vehicle are limited to 2 in the UK>>>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts