Range Rovers Forum banner

Parking sensors don’t deactivate when towing.

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BillConn 
#1 ·
My 2011 RR has a dealer installed trailer hitch and factory harness with both the 4-pin and 7-pin connectors. I towed for the first time with the Rover over the holidays and much to my dismay the parking sensors didn’t deactivate automatically when the trailer connection was detected. (in this instance I was using the 4-pin flat connector).
What is the proper parking sensor behavior when a trailer is connected. In all other modern vehicles I’ve owned, parking sensors, lane departure systems and similar all deactivate when a trailer is connected.
The RR is relatively new to me and it was the previous owner that had the hitch plus harness installed at a Land Rover dealership (I have all the receipts) so I’d like to think the software end was also addressed during the install. Does one of the control modules need to be programmed specifically for the hitch install? Is it not enabled by default?

#2 ·
Probably not enabled by the factory, since none of the NA L322's have the option from the factory, although most of them (06 to 09's anyway) have the actual tow bar installed. I know my 06 didn't need any programming (although I do have the option selected in my configuration file - I did it) and it works fine. But the 10's and up are different animals electronically. Truck should not be able to change ride height (access or off road manual selections) and the backup sensors should be disabled whenever a trailer (or a lighting tester) is connected to the harness in the truck. Never tested mine to see if the front sensors were also disabled, guess I'll have to try that. Dealer should probably have enabled the function when it was installed.

#3 ·
Re: Parking sensors don’t deactivate when towing.

Another idea... Assuming the dealer did do the correct configuration upon installing the receiver, I'm wondering if the trailer you hooked up is using LED lights.
I've run into scenarios where the LED don't pull enough juice through the trailer harness, that though everything might be correct with your truck, it doesn't even know there is a trailer there. If this is the case, you'll need to either incorporate a resistor in the trailer wiring or a relay. Might be something to look into if you're got a trailer with LED's. Here's a bit more info.

-Nick

#5 ·
Another idea... Assuming the dealer did do the correct configuration upon installing the receiver, I'm wondering if the trailer you hooked up is using LED lights.
I've run into scenarios where the LED don't pull enough juice through the trailer harness, that though everything might be correct with your truck, it doesn't even know there is a trailer there. If this is the case, you'll need to either incorporate a resistor in the trailer wiring or a relay. Might be something to look into if you're got a trailer with LED's. Here's a bit more info.

-Nick
Agreed probably leds. I have an older trailer with incandescent and a newer with leds and it never deactivated with leds but does with the older.
Well it was the LED trailer lights on the trailer in question. Tried hooking up to my other trailer with incandescent lighting and the parking sensors deactivated. I’ll have to add a resistor to my other trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.