RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;
I have a lighting problem with my 1995 LWB, 4.2 USA spec Classic. The truck is in very nice shape with 120k miles and has a functioning EAS too.

Yesterday after dark, my wife noticed, as I was pulling away that the parking/running lights were not lit. The headlights were lit but the dash lights were not. On checking this morning, all other lighting circuits appear to work (turn, reverse, brakes etc). When I rotate the light switch to turn on the headlights, the parking lights (only) are not lit.

The fuse in the box under the hood appears fine. Is there a relay I should check? It could be the switch I suppose but it feels okay and seems to work. I have not checked it out visually by removing the cowl as yet, waiting to hear if I can get help here first.

I don't have a wiring diagram to determine if a relay is involved and where it is located.

Any help provided sincerely appreciated. Sincere thanks, John (in NJ)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,781 Posts
Download RAVE so that you have the diagrams. As the contacts in the headlight switch service multiple circuits you'll need to check multiple possibilities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response, I'll locate and download today. All the very best for Christmas!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
The parking lights are on a different circuit to the headlights. You might have a blown fuse.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I had this issue on mine. It took me awhile to track down. I finally found a bunch of loose grounds up near the battery. The nut holding the wires to the body had become nearly disconnected. My nut had fallen off. I found a suitable replacement nut, and tightened all the wires back down. Wala, everything worked great again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to close the loop on this thread. After being distracted through the holidays, I was finally able to do some troubleshooting. I downloaded the Rave, thanks for that suggestion, and set about isolating the problem. It wasn't complicated as I started at the headlight switch on the column and that was the issue. Didn't need to remove the steering wheel fortunately. Contacts were bad and I'm very surprised (disappointed) that LR appear to have no relays in that circuit, with all current passing through the switch. The plug-in connector at the back was pretty discolored due to heat. I have cleaned the contacts and all is operating as it should. I will purchase a new switch and install relays in the next few weeks. Also I will not replace the two holding screws on the switch. The switch latches in place and is probably all that is needed, and makes removal easier with no screws. Sincere thanks for the helpful comments, very, very useful. Happy New Year to all! John

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
There is a nut holding the grounds down near the battery. if that is loose, you will have the problem you are having. Mine was doing the same thing, I finally located the loose wires and fixed the problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts