RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just changed my rear pads and rotors... however when I took off the rotors, I found that the parking brake shoes underneath were completely gone (only metal).... I have never noticed any rubbing, or overheating and the old rotors were not discolored or anything... I'm confused as to how they could be worn down since they never are used for driving? I do set and release the electronic brake every time I stop (I figure it is better to move it regularly so it does not seize up).

Clearly I need to order new shoes, but I don't know if maybe there is some reason this happened that will cause the new ones to wear out quickly?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
If you don't have any discoloration or major scoring in the old rotors, it probably happened on the previous rotors, and wasn't repaired when they were put on, I've ran into this surprise many times. They will lock up for any number of reasons, overheat, and crack the material on the shoes, then fall apart when the rotor is removed.

When replacing, be sure to adjust them correctly(a little looser than you would on a straight mechanical setup) and then preform the bedding-in procedure.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never changed any that had an electronic setup... but I read elsewhere that I should snug it up and then back off about eight clicks on these L322 ones... the parts under the rotor look pretty straight forward, I think I can just release the actuator and the spring on top and it should come apart (after popping the two pins of course). It will also be easy because I have brand new rotors that will just pop right off easily with no extra work needed :p

One thing I did notice while it was apart is that the pins appear to go into holes located in the dust shield... which is not super sturdy... I wonder if those holes might ever rot out? The pins could pop out and then the shoes would be loose inside (currently does not appear to be any danger of that happening, but something to keep an eye on)!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The backing plate is reinforced behind the shoes, and pretty sturdy, as long as you're not trying to do j turns or anything they hold up pretty well. I've only seen one time where the pin/hole has caused an issue, and that was due to rust, not 'wear'.

As to the snug and back off, that works, pretty much the factory spec way to d it, just without the rotational tq spec. I generally tighten til there is the slightest drag/noise and then back off about 3-4 clicks, but I wouldn't suggest this on your first go at it. Looser is better, as you can tighten it up a click or 2 without too much trouble if it rolls in gear when applied following bedding them in.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good, thanks for the info!

Also, the placement of the little box where you plug in the other end of the brake wear sensor is really unfortunate... rather than take the whole wheel well apart I opted to just hold the moulding aside with a large pry bar and then skin my knuckles a little and mange to get the old one out and the new one plugged in... unplugging with one hand is tricky.

Tried my best to save the old one gently tugging with needle-nose, but it disintegrated.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love atlantic british. I order stuff and it shows up like magic faster than amazon. Just figured I'd mention that the parking brake shoes showed up and they were super easy to install since everything was still freshly lubricated and brand new. 20 minutes total.

Now that they are installed and adjusted, I totally agree with what Dave said above... they must have been like that since before I bought the vehicle but I just didn't have anything to compare it with to know what I was missing. It holds very strongly now, night and day difference, and not really expensive at all so I don't know why they weren't fixed along with whenever the last brake job was... laziness I suppose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts