RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just personally changed out the brake pads on all four corners of my 2006 Sport and everything went well. About a month later when engaging the emergency brake / parking brake we started hearing a noise in the rear as it engaged. When we had it in for service we asked the dealer to look into it. They ended up responding that since they did not do the brakes they will not "adjust the parking brake'. About 2 days later when engaging the parking brake it made a louder noise, then a message on the info screen that parking brake failure.
Does anyone know how to adjust the parking brake?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the noise would be accurate. The dealer said that parking brake needs to be adjusted, and if we do not it will prematurely wear out the brake-Not sure about that, but the noise seems to have gotten worse and with the last warning in the info screen we have elected to not use it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
If your car is still under factory warranty (although if it's an early build 2006 you may be running out of time), the dealer must fix your EPB for free. Just because you got your brakes serviced elsewhere or did them yourself, that should not invalidate or affect the warranty on the rest of the car, and that would include adjustments or repairs to a noisy EPB, a problem that Land Rover acknowledged and addressed in this TSB, also linked in the above thread. The bulletin is useful for a DIYer to inspect park brake shoes and cables as well. If your warranty is up you should steer clear of the dealer anyway, and find a good LR indy shop that won't rip you off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bearmach's Hawkeye diagnostic tool Part BA 5070 has the facility to release the service brake actuator on Discovery 3 and R/R Sport vehicles.This is required when having to replace the cable.It also has an unjam function as there can be occasions when the brake refuses to release (it is worth keeping this tool in the glove box).I can forward by email the full Land Rover service and adjustment proceedure if required.

Clive Myall

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just had this issue resolved on my sport. At first, the dealership wasn't willing to work on it (my ebrake would squeal like a rat in boiling water when engaged) b/c I had aftermarket brembos on it but Umberto showed me that there was a TSB out for it. Once I brought that up to my service advisor and showed him the TSB and said, "isn't this a safety issue? I don't understand why LR would not handle it", they fixed it. They ended up replacing the motor module (or something) and it came out to be $1400. They tried to charge me for it but my SA took care of it.

Edwin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
...and the EPB sound can also be easily triggered by dirt or mud which has become lodged between the shoes...once cleaned out, it works just fine again.

If it sounds like a cat is being strangled to death when you apply the EPB, probably it's just dirt stuck in there...no reason the dealer shouldn't just clean it out if there is no other mechanical failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts