RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pandora and Spotify playback via Bluetooth plus USB Charging...

Already excited about my 2012 Evoque Pure Premium! Have had it for about 3 hours :)

The only disappointing, heart sank in my chest feeling that I had at the dealership was when he walked me through the audio options, we were streaming Spotify over Bluetooth and then we plugged in my USB charging cable into my iPhone 5, and the music stopped.

Okay, so I thought it just auto-detected it was plugged in, killed Bluetooth, no big deal. So I thought it might just be a matter of going back and reconnecting phone and all would be well. Apparently, when using either USB or iPod, you are NOT able to play music from something other than your "iPod" on the iPhone (otherwise known as "Music").

This completely blew my mind, and in any other circumstances might have been a deal breaker. I listen to Pandora and Spotify all the time while I drive, never my iPod. Not being able to charge while doing so is a ridiculous oversight, or inversely, not being able to send whatever audio source you want to the head unit despite being plugged in is just crazy.

My wife has a 2012 prius, and that doesn't care what audio source you are playing, and they work over bluetooth and regular USB. I expected more from this!

SO, now that I'm done with my rant. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I too will continue to see if I can figure out the magic combination of - plug in cable, start music, ignore error - type solve.

Thanks!
Stephen

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Re: Pandora and Spotify playback via Bluetooth plus USB Charging...

All I can say is that you are going to find a lot more things that the prius infotainment center will do that the range rover won't. When it comes to the nav/infotainment center range rover is still very much behind. They were supposedly going to update the new range rover, but they ended up putting in the same system that the evoque has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for the reply. My intention isn't to compare it to the Prius as much as reinforce my frustration that this apparently wasn't tested. They clearly intend for people to stream music via bluetooth. And with so many music apps other than the built in iPod, I'm very surprised they didn't develop a work-around for this. Especially in a car where they've just about thought of everything.

E.g. the Evoque symbol in the puddle lamps and an awesome touch, but I'm positive I'd trade that for being able to charge my phone while listening to Pandora.

All I can say is that you are going to find a lot more things that the prius infotainment center will do that the range rover won't. When it comes to the nav/infotainment center range rover is still very much behind. They were supposedly going to update the new range rover, but they ended up putting in the same system that the evoque has.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

without getting too pissy you bought a rig without knowing what it could do. Range Rover products have ALWAYS been behind the curve. It is and was always been a given that when you buy a RR product you accept the lack of new fangled bits.

Sory you can;t stream, but then again neither can most folks with the RR name tag. It a part of life to be dealt with by aftermarket up grades and huge expences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Not a particular constructive response, but thanks - I think.

I don't know how familiar you are with the Evoque, but if you ran down the technology list on that car it would be impossible not to have expectations set so high that it's clearly a design oversight and not something I would have anticipated.

From what I've read in other Evoque specific forums, Range Rover has acknowledge the issue - whether or not they plan to offer a firmware update to resolve it remains to be seen, but at least I'm not the only one. For the time being I'll have to stream and charge separately or wait till someone whips up a workaround.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I found the same thing, and initially thought it was stupid. However, after a bit of playing about with the system, you CAN charge your phone while streaming; you just need to get yourself a cigarette socket USB adapter instead of using the Evoque's USB ports!

Sometimes, the answer is right underneath your nose. In this case, it's underneath your arm `)

·
Registered
10 Posts

This is my experience with my 2013 Dynamic: iPod connected through proper USB (and charging). Motorola Defy charging through "power point" and connected Blue Tooth. I can play music from iPod, music from Motorola, music from HD and of course, radio. (I do not have satellite radio). The only thing I have read is that iPods with Bluetooth (I have an older nano w/o BT) seem to cause issues. But, I'm not sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts