RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommendation to painting the grey skits around the Rover Sport along the doors and front and rear bumpers?
anyone have suggestions or is it even worth doing?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still in that Red Rover... But i just meant from a practical standpoint? Does the paint chip easily..etc..?
Your RRS looks great. You should paint the sides of the grill too. How much sanding did you do on the textured plastic before you painted? then did you prime it and put the adhesive promoter on as well?

·
Registered
270 Posts
From a practical standpoint, if you can get it cheaper than I did (approx $2300) you should be golden. My mistake is that I went through my dealer, so It was a little on the expensive side. I figured that I wanted the paint to match perfectly, so I let them do it. Shop around first.

Yes they took each piece of trim off, sanded, primed and painted. It took them about 2 days to do it. Thats the way to go Im sure someone can do it cheaper if they leave the trim on, but then yo uhave to worry about overspray and what not. I haven't had any problems with paint chips, or pitting or anything of that nature. No graying or dulling either. At the same time, my truck is an '09, so If your paint is dulling or fading or whatever, Im not sure how that is going to look. But if you are just doing the bottom trim, it will look better than what is on there now. That gray plastic was killing me.

Let us know either, and if you paint it post pics. hope this helps.

Nupe

·
Registered
318 Posts
kstatenupe said:
From a practical standpoint, if you can get it cheaper than I did (approx $2300) you should be golden. My mistake is that I went through my dealer, so It was a little on the expensive side. I figured that I wanted the paint to match perfectly, so I let them do it. Shop around first.

Yes they took each piece of trim off, sanded, primed and painted. It took them about 2 days to do it. Thats the way to go Im sure someone can do it cheaper if they leave the trim on, but then yo uhave to worry about overspray and what not. I haven't had any problems with paint chips, or pitting or anything of that nature. No graying or dulling either. At the same time, my truck is an '09, so If your paint is dulling or fading or whatever, Im not sure how that is going to look. But if you are just doing the bottom trim, it will look better than what is on there now. That gray plastic was killing me.

Let us know either, and if you paint it post pics. hope this helps.

Nupe
:shock: $2300?? You know that any good body shop will match paint as good if not better than the dealer all they need is the paint code. I would say a reasonable price for the rear, sides and front would be about $750, assuming average prep work. You could also have the paint shop texture the paint for protection. Toyota does this on their trucks with the bottom 8" of the vehicle.

I think the lighter your RRS, the worse the gray plastic looks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For me the $2300 included all the bottom trim, and the window pillars. After thinking about it, I def could have gone cheaper. Lessons learned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts