RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting Hood and scratch repair on Range Rover... your thoughts on prices?

I have a 2004 Range Rover that has a few cosmetics I want to take car of.. I have scratches and chips on the hood from over the years. I also have scratches around the door handles and body of the vehicle that need to be taken care of. No dents at all.. just cosmetics that I want to get done to clean her up a bit. Took the truck to a autobody shop. They said the hood needed to be repainted ($500) and also they could sand, buff, and polish the entire vehicle as well as polish (no sand or buff) the roof ($700). And for another $175 repaint the door handles, without having to remove. Just wanted to see if you guys thought theses were fair prices. Its either get repaired to buy some color match wax/polish and covered up the scratches continuously. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Re: Painting Hood and scratch repair on Range Rover... your thoughts on prices?

I have a 2004 Range Rover that has a few cosmetics I want to take car of.. I have scratches and chips on the hood from over the years. I also have scratches around the door handles and body of the vehicle that need to be taken care of. No dents at all.. just cosmetics that I want to get done to clean her up a bit. Took the truck to a autobody shop. They said the hood needed to be repainted ($500) and also they could sand, buff, and polish the entire vehicle as well as polish (no sand or buff) the roof ($700). And for another $175 repaint the door handles, without having to remove. Just wanted to see if you guys thought theses were fair prices. Its either get repaired to buy some color match wax/polish and covered up the scratches continuously. What are your thoughts?
Seems reasonable... They prob want to paint the hood because there is damage beyond the primer... A good wet/sand/compound detail runs $500-1000+ so that sounds on point... I guess 175 isn't bad for the door handles... I just taped off the doors... sanded 600 grit, primer, grey spray paint... and they looked great. $12 bux + 1 hours

·
Registered
687 Posts

As for the door handle covers you should buy the color matching door handle covers from powerfuluk you wont need to worry about peeling paint, and they looks better than the cheap silver color. the rest seems resonable as long as it's a high quality job and not some cheap dealership polish job. If you want to stop hood scratchs and rock chips you should buy a wrap around brush guard it deflects most of them off, i dont have a single chip on my hood anywhere :). Or just 3m the hood if you dont want a brush guard .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

is it best to wet sand the entire vehicle or just the area of the scratches?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts

is it best to wet sand the entire vehicle or just the area of the scratches?
Depends on how the paint is... generally you do that type of fine wet sanding to remove deep swirls or holograms in the paint. You can also remove orange peel... Wet sanding only removes scratches in the clear coat, if you have a scratch down to the paint/primer wet sanding isn't going to help. If you get the scratch repaired wet sanding and polishing will blend the repaired area in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My range is Aquatic Blue... does anyway know Polish/Wax brand that has this color from covering scratches?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts

wet your finger and rub it on the scratches if the colour returns and the white goes its just in the clear coat light wet sand with 1500 or 2000 wet and dry them buff out with 3g polish compound should do the trick but do it in light stages so not to go through the clear to the base coat. If you wet it and its still white its through the clear into the base coat and needs a repaint

1 - 7 of 7 Posts