RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting the rear lamp guards and color matching them Arctic Frost like the rest of my car. Worry that it might be too much or wouldn't look right, but the idea sounds good. Anyone have any pictures of the OEM rear lamp guards color matched to the paint?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of defeats the purpose of buying them since I'd like to see what they'd look like before I waste money (and time covering them in masking tape like you suggested). Thanks for the insight anyways though :dance:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Drevs is correct, to protect the paint on the guards from getting scratched up a lot when you are driving backwards through the brush, you'll definitely want to tape them. So why not just skip painting and tape them instead?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys really have some sense of humor around here....maybe because I'm a newbie? Don't plan on taking this car through the brush too often so I don't think that will be necessary. I was actually considering painting them with Rhino-Liner since that can be color matched pretty good.

Now, anyone willing to give me a serious reply?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Ehm... I think painting them would defeat the purpose of buying them! :lol: Honestly, those guards are not even rugged enough to offer meaningful protection to the lenses back there, although they look pretty good as "accent" in black if you are going for the off-road look. Painting them in any other color that sticks out, like your Arctic Frost, would just give a funny, girlie-men (quoting our Governator here...) look to the back of your car, IMHO. I don't recall anyone on the forum going that far when color coding their Sport, even those who color coded every other inch of the car otherwise... There must be a reason. :wink: Then again, it's your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...yea I just thought it might look a little different since I'm not totally sold on the color matched tails from JBRAC and am still debating upgrading to the 2010 LED's. It'd definitely be all for cosmetic purposes and I was thinking it would be overkill, but wanted to see some pics of it first to see how gaudy it might look.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
DT, you are accessorizing your car (the driving lights, the brush guards, etc.) like you are going offroad, but yet you are not planning to go offroad, but now you want to use Rhinoliner on the brush guard to protect the paint which you are not going to scratch up because you are not going offroad? Hence the ball of confusion...

When you originally asked about the driving lights I assumed you also would like to know how they function offroad. Not so well vs what they cost IMO---they are mounted too low, for one thing. Did not realize you were just going for a "look." Same with the brush guards.

If your next post is that you want to install the rear roof access ladder and expedition rack, and color code those as well, my head might explode.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I have a Jeep JK that's all geared up for my off-roading stuff (35in tires, 4in lift, etc). As capable as this car is of keeping up with my Jeep on the trails, I think I'm going to leave this one on the pavement. I also purchased the car mainly for my mother, who will be driving it 80% of the time. I have a bad addiction with any car I buy that I can't simply leave it stock. There's not a whole lot of options out there for the RRS's, but I def want to do a couple things here and there to make it stand out from the rest of the stock grocery-getters on the road. That's not to say when I ship it to NY I won't try and have some fun with it in the snow.

And yes, I'll be the first to say that most of these off-road worthy upgrades I'm looking at are mostly for cosmetic reasons- but nice to have in place if and when I do decide to venture off the pavement. I just see how much of a beating my Jeep has taken and would never wish that upon such a nice car like this. The only reason I mentioned the Rhino liner stuff, is because my buddy and I just bought the machine to do high-pressure spray on liners and since we figured out how to color match things pretty well it might be a unique alternative to just painting them. Whatever I do, I'll make sure not to post any pics though to save the embarrassment from you guys :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
in case you didn't already know, they're plastic. similar to the lower side skirts. at the very least, you might want to wait until you get your tails from jbrac. putting on the lamp guards (coded or not) would be covering up the color coded tails. i would think one or the other, but not both. the peanut gallery (meant totally in a respectful way haha) isn't too far off with the tape suggestion if you could find someone local to you with lamp guards that would let you see how they'd look.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
im thinking about painting lamp guards and brushguard, but my truck is grey to begin with. My Rhino editions bumper is painted so im thinking about it. suggestions? stay stock gray? or what?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts