RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really posting this to showoff so much, but more so to illustrate that this is a fairly easy, straightforward way to clean up your nasty, unfinished calipers. Some of you have done this, some are planning it, some haven't even thought about it. There's a little bit for everyone here. What's more, the S/C's have Brembo's and without the paint, the calipers just fade to a dull, gray color.

Here is my process:

1. Sand with 150 grit and follow with a 3M scuff pad. Take your time and get into everywhere you will end up painting...the only fisheyes I like are those at the end of my fishing rod. Extra sanding is required to remove the nasty 'Brembo' logo...after 3 years of neglect, it was barely visible. DO NOT skimp on the sanding step. In some spots, I was down to bare metal.
2. Wipedown with Isopropyl - go heavy on this stuff it is essential for removing dirt and dust, plus it evaporates quickly.
3. Start taping! Cover the pads on top of the rotor, cover the pad pins (I cut out tiny discs out of my 3M painter's tape and placed them in there. Tape the rotor and the front fender (base coat won't fly around so much but clear likes to stick to everything). Clear is not necessary but will assist greatly with cleaning and will help the new decal adhere.
4. Six light coats of Duplicolor 500 degree semi-gloss black engine enamel in spray form.
5. Placed the decal (thanks xenonmods) in the factory location.
6. Finish with two coats of Duplicolor 500 degree clear coat.

This was a rather time consuming project since I'm waiting 5-10 minutes in between coats, but it's still much quicker and cheaper than powdercoating. A hair dryer helped quite a bit in curing each coat. This is not a difficult project, but takes some time if you want to get it right. I know most people could give a toss about calipers but I like to look at them through the spokes, especially when they are Brembo's. It is an often overlooked detail on cars. Not everyone will notice, but I will.

Please ask any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

You go from this:

To this:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,468 Posts
Beautiful work there...great write up!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very nice and well done :clap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This forum never fails. Great post.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JetPilot said:
Brilliant … I love it. Post a pic with the wheel back on.
My Stormers are on right now so I'll try to get a cell pic today but at the end of the week I'm getting my 22" Kahn RS-C reps installed which will show the calipers much better. I will definitely post pics.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Nice UR. So the Brembo logo on the original is a sticker? Its not raised and painted?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gooseyloosey said:
Nice UR. So the Brembo logo on the original is a sticker? Its not raised and painted?
Thanks. I don't think the original is a sticker, since there was no edge to it. I believe what they did was to spray it on with the use of a stencil. My old Cobra had a raised COBRA so I sprayed the whole caliper and sanded off the lettering - very easy.

In this case, I had to sand the spray painted logo almost entirely off (actually the remaining faint outline helped with placement of the new one). So the new stickers are adhesive - and stick very well to the painted surface by the way. But for extra protection I cleared over everything. So the new sticker is actually 'trapped' under two coats of high temp clear and shouldn't really discolor or fade.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
129 Posts
Nice job my man.. I like it. Wheels COMPLETELY change the character of the car and I'm excited to see how yours turn out. Those reps kind of look like a similiar offering from Antera.. is that who you went with?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Serb said:
Nice job my man.. I like it. Wheels COMPLETELY change the character of the car and I'm excited to see how yours turn out. Those reps kind of look like a similiar offering from Antera.. is that who you went with?
Thanks dude...these wheels are actually from usarim out in san diego and I had no problems with them, not for the price they gave! They are an identical replica to the Kahn RS-C with a flared 5 spoke design. Load rating is correct at 1500 lbs per wheel and I will be running 285 35 Toyo ST II's. Should be installed by Sunday. Stormers with Nokian's will be reserved as my winter setup.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Ukraine Range said:
Not really posting this to showoff so much, but more so to illustrate that this is a fairly easy, straightforward way to clean up your nasty, unfinished calipers.
No way UR. Feel free to show off. Excellent job and write up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
phil. said:
[quote="Ukraine Range":3orov6i9]Not really posting this to showoff so much, but more so to illustrate that this is a fairly easy, straightforward way to clean up your nasty, unfinished calipers.
No way UR. Feel free to show off. Excellent job and write up.[/quote:3orov6i9]

Ha, thanks man. I was looking at it out in the sun today and it does make a big difference. If I can inspire just ONE person to do this, then I've done my job...just kidding.

Wheel on pic as requested - the nine spoke stormers don't do a great job of showing off a caliper, but you get the point:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
129 Posts
BTW.. you should really consider adding mud flaps. It really makes the Black RRS' pop imo. It gives it a nastier stance.. pretty mean looking. Again, thats my oppinion. But do it.. you will be happy w/ how it widens the stance of the rig. Oh.. and a child could install them, very simple.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Excellent work! Looks beautiful... I always wondered why they only did the painted calipers for 06. The 07-09's Brembo calipers almost look corroded.

As far as the decals though, I always Imagined that what you do with them is paint 2 or 3 coats white or whatever color you want the brembo lettering to be, then place the decal and spray over in black or whatever color you want the caliper to be... then you just remove the decal to reveal your brembo logo in the under coated color.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MIAMIRRS said:
Excellent work! Looks beautiful... I always wondered why they only did the painted calipers for 06. The 07-09's Brembo calipers almost look corroded.

As far as the decals though, I always Imagined that what you do with them is paint 2 or 3 coats white or whatever color you want the brembo lettering to be, then place the decal and spray over in black or whatever color you want the caliper to be... then you just remove the decal to reveal your brembo logo in the under coated color.
Yes you could certainly do that as well, I just figured it would be less painting and I'd be clearing over the decal anyway. Should last a good long while but I'd consider that method in the future should I have to spray them again (hopefully not for a couple years!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Drives me nutty when you find a thread and the pictures are missing. Any change OP is still around and can re-upload? Would appreciate it mate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts