RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been noticing that the paint on my sport is looking a little dull and still showing sort of a spider-web finish even after a thorough wax and clay. I was just wondering if anybody has seen better results with a random orbit or orbital buffer. I have been doing it by hand (not wanting to blow the cash on a random orbit buffer if the orbital does a better job) and of course not wanting to ruin the gelcoat.

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Claying and waxing the car will not be enough to get rid of the swirl marks or "spider webs" in the finish. You will have to buff it out with a rubbing compound. Either a random or orbital buffer will work. A random orbital buffer is more forgiving on your finish but will take a lot longer to achieve the same results as an orbital buffer. If your finish is not that bad you may be able to get away with a fine grade polishing compound. Test a spot on your finish to see if it takes out the swirls. If not, go with a medium grade compound and work your way to the fine. If you decide to go with an orbital buffer you should use enough compound to keep the pad moist and make sure you never keep it in one spot or you'll burn into your finish. Most orbital buffers on the market nowadays have a variable speed control built into them. Start off slow until you get use to it then crank the sucker up! This is what I did to mine recently....the results were fantastic.

1) washed the car thoroughly
2) clay
3) washed again then dried
4) polished with a medium grade compound followed by a fine compound
5) applied a paint sealer
6) waxed the car

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Jimmy. I definitely want to get things sealed/protected before the winter rolls along. Just one question...the paint sealer, how do you apply that? A paint sealer--namely like a tech wax?

-Chris-

·
Registered
204 Posts
The paint sealer I use goes on like a liquid wax (DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant)........just buff on and wipe off. I purchase most of my stuff from autogeek.net

1 - 4 of 4 Posts