RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced problems with paint on the new '04 RR?

I purchased a new (silver) RR in May. Over the last few months, I noticed that the paint on my hood was showing dark circular spots !

I took the RR to my dealer. He agreed that the paint was a problem, then offer to repaint the RR. I disagreed !!!

He then offered to replace the vehicle with a new '04. I agreed to pay a small amount for mileage and I received my new RR on Friday. It too was silver.

I washed the RR Saturday morning and guess what I found............ a dark gray spot on the hood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now what !!!!!!!!

Any thoughts, suggestions or has anyone else experienced this ???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Larry B., I too have a Zambezi Silver 04 Range Rover and I have yet to notice any paint issues. Could you tell me if you life in a warm weather region like Arizona or TX? I live up in Seattle and although my vehicle is garaged when it is not being driven I have yet to encounter any paint issues.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry B., how are you washing your vehicle? Are you using a soft mitt with appropriate car washing soap? Are you using a pressure washer? Does the paint job suffer only after you've washed the vehicle?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derek, I've had my new 04 replaced with yet another 04 as well. It wasn't due to the paint issue, but I was tired of my vehicle being serviced at the dealership (22 total days - less than 1000 miles) out of the first 50 days of ownership for a myriad of assembly issues (all unrelated to the engine or transmission). Basically, I informed them through my attorney sister that I would pursue with legal action after my vehicle had been in a total of 30 days (State Attorney General guidelines - lemon law). Rather than reach 30 days of dealership service, the regional representative for Land Rover decided it was probably safer to offer me a brand new 04 and replace my vehicle. I ended up with a slightly better car (luxury interior).

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver 03

hi Guys,

I have had my RR for almost 18 - 20 months, it is my daily driver.
I have 39,000 k's on it .
No paint issues just tire issues and rattles that the dealer cannot solve.
I will look for paint issues when I was it .
I am shocked that they replaced your RR wiht a new one , absolutly shocked. You should consider your self very lucky.

Alican1

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer a few questions regarding how my RR was treated...... I do live in a hot climate, south east Texas. The replacement RR was delivered to my dealer from a dealer in Los Vegas, another hot sunny region.

My first '04 was "babied".......... going from an AC garage to an underground personal parking space for work. I washed it at the local "soft" touch car wash weekly, if I did not wash it myself using a car wash/wax blend in a water solution. I would accept this approach as a possible issue .............. but the new one was in Texas only for 1 week and was only washed by the dealer......and it has spots on the hood!

What I did not tell anyone yet is that the "loaner" I was given ALSO had color differentiation on the hood as well ( as compared to my spotting hood(s))............ it is a '04 RR gold color.

I contacted my dealer again this morning regarding my latest weekend issue and he offered me a "third" new RR............ this time in BLACK!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am glad that the dealership/LR is honoring the value that you have invested into the RR by replacing it with a new one. I fought with LR over issues with my brand new 03 RR, problems that put it back at the dealership 3-4 times—far fewer than you have endured.

It is actually a funny story because I started with LR customer service (which I think Ford consolidated with their other product lines--can't confirm that, just a feeling). My first contact was with Mo, LR's customer service representative. His exact words were, "What’da ya expect us to do about your car problems? Take it to da’ dealer and get’em to fix it!"

I hit the roof! I explained to Mo, in a firm voice (keep in mind I am probably younger than Mo and ordinarily I would respect my elders--I was 33 at the time), that I wasn't an Explorer or Escape customer; I am a Range Rover client. As a premium client, who had just paid over $70K for a vehicle, he should put me on hold and get someone who has the intelligence to deal with me.

Mo wasn't allowed to talk with me again. My car was at the dealership for problems with the steering column, driver's side door not working and driver's side window malfunctioning. My dealership treated me very well and LR reimbursed me $2,000 for having to waste time taking it in so many times. I was appreciative and I have not had problems since.

So I am surprised that they replaced your RR, however, understanding that it has been in for so many days, I agree, you should receive a new one. In addition, re-painting the hood is entirely unacceptable. LR is expecting us to pay premium dollar and for that I expect the same in product quality.

Does anyone know if there have been as many problems with other product lines from LR? Did the prior versions of the RR have as many initial issues? How about the Discovery or the Freelander?

dG

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Derek, I can tell this is your first Range Rover (it's ok, it's my first Range Rover too)? Let me offer just a quick history. One of the primary reasons that Range Rover has historically maintained abysmal resale value is because of the spotty manufacturing (as well as abysmal maintenance records). It has always been a love/hate relationship for the majority of Range Rover owners. Don't make my word for it. J.D. Powers & Associates, Edmunds, ad infinitum all confirm that customers love their cars before the actual purchase and quickly realize that they have been bamboozled by the British interior, the smell of the leather, and the wood accents. I certainly was.

When my vehicle had problems - on the show room floor (passenger side power mirror would not adjust or fold back)... I brought the vehicle back to the dealership to get fixed. They too offered me $2000 to appease my better consumer senses. I informed them, I'd rather pay $2000 more to get a vehicle that is suppose to work the way it was designed. After a dozen or more phone calls with the dealership they realized it was going to more cost effective to give me a new vehicle.

I'm told my Land Rover USA HQ in Southern, CA (friend) that the biggest problem that they currently have is that Land Rover customers are not repeat customers. AS you can imagine, this is problematic in a business when you can't secure repeat customers.

I took an informal survey of some of the parents at my child's school who own Land Rovers (Discovery, Range Rover) and 6 out of 7 parents indicated that they would be hard pressed to buy another Land Rover product.

I pray that my vehicle will hold up while I'm negotiating with other dealerships to trade my car in (3 months old). I'm trying to unload my car. I honestly am a bit sad. The interior of the vehicle is just incredible. The redesign is excellent. The 04 Range Rover is a handsome car with presence and clearly recognizable on the street (curb appeal). But little does the average Joe realize what grief owners have to go through shuttling the vehicle back and forth to the dealership in a never ending quest to solve electrical gremlins, window issues, door latches, rear hatch latches, body panel clips, air suspension hose issues, ad infinitum. I've never owned a vehicle before where I have chosen not to use the navigation option b/c it was providing less than accurate directions or because it was next to impossible to program some addresses.

All in all, I am saddened. I took a chance dumping a whole lot of cash into a car that has lived up to it's historical performance record. Yes, the new Range Rover MKIII is the best made ever. But given where it's come from, we're not talking Toyota manufacturing reliability. If you can keep me away from the dealership for monthly maintenance issues - I'll take an underpowered and souless Toyota anyday.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are certainly correct, it is my first RR and I can certainly understand your feelings and sympathize with you. Your experiences with your vehicle, quite frankly, should not have happened and it is incredible considering the investment of value you placed in your RR. There seems to be a disconnect when it comes to payment for quality and delivery of quality.

I kept complaining that to afford my RR I needed to be in my office, not taking a later train in or leaving work early to pick it up. I don’t know about your commute; I train from PA into NYC every day and I leave around 6:30AM and come home at 8PM—and I am not complaining, I love my work—there’s just no room for car-care.

I dreamed of the RR for quite some time. When I was ready, I first looked at the H2 Hummer and it was just ok, but when I test-drove the RR I was impressed. But what sold me was the notion of service—and my dealership has taken care of me very well (unfortunately they only sell LR). Price was never an issue for me—like you said, I too would gladly pay more for reliability.

I clearly understand the love-hate concept—it seems apparent. Since I am so new to this I am not sure where I fit in. Luckily I have had no more problems, other than some flaking on my steering wheel that my dealer has already offered to replace.

I truly do not know what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would not know what else to purchase instead of an RR. I go off road so the next most reliable vehicle in my mind would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee—but there’s a serious difference between the two, very serious difference. The BMW, Porsche and Mercedes SUVs should never be taken off road and pale in comparison. The VW seems interesting, but I don’t feel comfortable buying from VW.

Are there any pending/unresolved issues with the RR? What ultimately happened with the hood? What are other dealerships offering you as a trade in? What are you looking to replace your RR with?

Good luck.

dG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my first lemon. I thought Land Rover was a quality operation, boy, was I mistaken. My 2003 had the steering column replaced, steering wheel motor failure, noisy ride (wheels/tires/brakes???); on a steep expressway hill it begin to slow down and would not accelerate; and yesterday on the very dangerous expressway, the wheels begin to bounce like crazy (I thought all the balancing weights had popped off) then it emitted a loud squeal and grinding noise that killed the transmission and suddenly lost any ability to accelerate. In short it lost all power and fortunately no 18-wheelers were riding my bumper because I was only able to coast from the fast lane to the left hand side of the beltway (expressway) and wait for a tow truck. Is this the dreaded differential problem? Don't know yet. I hope to find out next week. I really thought I was going to be killed, but thank God, the other motorists slowed down and let me coast to safety. While waiting on the side of the expressway, three cars and one truck crossed the lane nearly hitting me. If this is what RR is all about, they can keep them. In nine years of owning Ford Explorers, the only thing that broke, was the rear window wiper. Hopefully Ford can fix the RR's many and very dangerous problems. RR is a beautiful vehicle...but it is also a very dangerous vehicle as currently assembled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts