Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a Range Rover P400e, and I had a quick question. I live in a condo building, and the HOA is making it awfully difficult to install a wall electric charger. If I were to leave the car in a Hybrid mode most of the time, does the car just functions as a typical hybrid where the engine will be utilized to recharge the depleted battery when necessary? Or will the battery eventually be depleted completely, and I will have to plug it in?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
474 Posts
Wow...I thought in the People's Republik of Kalifornia they are practically mandating EV's...there must be a law that will force them to allow a charger...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am thinking of getting a Range Rover P400e, and I had a quick question. I live in a condo building, and the HOA is making it awfully difficult to install a wall electric charger. If I were to leave the car in a Hybrid mode most of the time, does the car just functions as a typical hybrid where the engine will be utilized to recharge the depleted battery when necessary? Or will the battery eventually be depleted completely, and I will have to plug it in?
I don't own one yet (on order), but from what I've read, Yes you will need to plug it in. The battery will deplete if you dont plug it in. During driving, regenerative braking will top up the battery, but the engine does not provide any additional charging capability. However, all you need is power socket access to get it charging - the advantage of the wall box will of course be faster charging.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
4 Posts
I drive a BMW 330e, which is a gas/plug-in electric model, and assume would operate similarly to the P400e. I can easily drive the BMW without plugging in to recharge. The battery will deplete down to 10% and then the car reverts to full gas mode, only then using the battery to operate the car’s systems while at a stop light. Also, in the BMW I can select a ‘save battery’ mode which will force the car to recharge the battery while driving. While convenient for recharging the battery, this save mode does significantly reduce mpg due to the extra load placed on the engine.
If you do not have a convenient plug-in location, I would question why you are considering the hybrid. You are adding significant weight and complexity to the car without receiving much benefit from the hybrid powertrain.
I really enjoy my BMW hybrid. Much more so that I thought I would. Over the first 18 months of ownership, totaling about 16k miles, I’ve averaged 52 mpg. But I plug in every evening to recharge and can often go without using gas for a week or two.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you do not have a convenient plug-in location, I would question why you are considering the hybrid. You are adding significant weight and complexity to the car without receiving much benefit from the hybrid powertrain.

You hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
7 Posts

You hit the nail on the head.

Well, it’s not always that simple. I don’t have a convenient location to plug in (yet) but am working on it. I have 5 months to figure it out. Cars here in Thailand are priced ridiculously high. The only route into sensible FF ownership here in Thailand is to buy second hand (and worry about the life it’s had) Or to buy a hybrid which reduces the taxes by some 40%.

A new 4.4 diesel costs 150,000 extra on top of the hybrid!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Khai, that certainly makes some sense for where you live. The OP in in Los Angeles. A 40% taxation level on petrol vehicles would not apply to him.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well the vast majority of hybrids aren't plug in, including most Prius's. The batteries simply capture regen with the cars slow thus capturing waste energy. This is typically enough for most hybrids to match their city mileage rating (using the regen electricy) with their highway one (gas only) so its not all that small. As for the added weigh and complexity, I agree these are real concerns. For that reason, besides the Range Rover for utility and second car duties, I have a pure EV (eGolf) which handles run-about tasks. Much said about EV's is silly. The eGolf is sporty to drive and nearly zero maintenance beyond tires. I look at EV's as offsetting the expense and impact of the RR. When my wife drove the RR for awhile as a daily, the gas bill nearly matched the lease payment of the eGolf. And it will go 100 miles on $3 worth of electricity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the insights! I am able to install an electric charger in my building, but it just is way too costly considering the HOA controls so much of who, when, and how. Range Rover P400e was one of my potential options, but it seems like I'm better off getting an HSE. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I had the choice, I wouldn't be going for the P400e, but no other model is in my price range. In most other markets the P400e is similar priced to the diesel equivalents and if that was the case here, then I'd go diesel. I'm coming form a BMW 5 series Hybrid which isn't plug in and does about 2 miles of all electric driving under 35 mph! Hardly figures to get excited about, but it does have a lovely straight six petrol engine. Thats my biggest concern about going to the P400e - I'm either going to have no engine noise, or, as one reviewer put it, " a sound like a hot hatch is racing me away from the lights".

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thank you for all the insights! I am able to install an electric charger in my building, but it just is way too costly considering the HOA controls so much of who, when, and how. Range Rover P400e was one of my potential options, but it seems like I'm better off getting an HSE. Thank you!
I've heard lots of HOA horror stories so I don't doubt your issues. But installing a charger can be fairly easy. My home had a 50 amp clothes dryer circuit unused (I use a natural gas dryer). So I simply repurposed that circuit for my EV charger. I use a 32A charger for our car which per LR, will charge the P400 in 2 hours, 15 min. I installed it in about 3 hours in my garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts