RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I enjoy all the threads of perfect looking P38's and lifted versions ready to attack the trail. But was thinking that a "utility" thread might be cool too. My RR is old and dirty and still kicking. It does some second car duty of simple transport but for the most part, hauls or pulls things. I have two Labradors that own the back. My 12+ year old Lab has a nice memory foam cushion that suits him fine. This time of year, the RR has grape hauling duty. Here's 2 tons loaded up and ready to go. She groans a bit on long uphills but overall is an excellent tow vehicle. Plus I enjoy the looks from vineyard workers when we load the grapes and the rear appear to be hopelessly sagging. I fire it up and EAS levels her out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
46 Posts
My buddy sold his F150 for a Jetta before realizing he still had cleanup to do around his place. P38 to the rescue yanking bushes :mrgreen:

8FxIXZb.jpg

I also pull this little guy around occasionally. I can’t call it fishing yet, since that implies I actually caught some :mrgreen::mrgreen: Also the 6HP of Fury getting its yearly trash can test. `)

ayC7P56.jpg

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
I have an old Granite edition with 252K miles that still starts, stops, drives and really not in too bad of shape. Her original owner took her to Australia for some huge tour from Cairns to Brisbane and the Gold Cost. She has been all over Europe, down through Central America and has done the Alaska Highway twice. Her original owner treated her well, but was showing her age at a little over 100K when I picked her up.

In my 150K miles she has been on most every fire trail in Washington... back when they were open. She has moved a hunting cabin 100 feet back from a river's edge up by Winthrop. She helped clear 20 acres on Camano Island. Even a couple of cross country trips to Charlotte and Savannah.

Around the house she has opened up the neighbourhood by dragging downed power poles off the roads in big storm two years ago and draggin chunks of the three cottonwoods off the road that took the poles down. We've used her to pull out 35 year old junipers that we had no hope of digging out... there were 30-35 of those nasty weed shrubs. Winter on the hill brought her out in chains to drag neighbour's out of ditches and up the hill with promises of not going out until the snow plows made it out.

Her engine was lightly refreshed top side with a head gasket failure and she received fully rebuild heads,cam and lifters. She then got a new front cover when the oil pump gears shattered and jambed things up... did timing chain and gears. She's only had regular service, one radiator, a few sets of brakes and a full factory replacement exhaust from headers back. Her main bearings are just starting to knock, she is well pinstriped from trail runs her dash is slightly warped at the windscreen. She is proof that a well maintained P38 can make it past 200K with TLC.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I hit a new maximum for towing over the weekend, a combined weight of load plus trailer of 7,100 lbs. This was near my trailer rating of 7,500 but the load was well balanced. The Rover was not happy, my getting-a-little-tired 4.6 groaned hard going up hill. I manually shifted up to 3 on the highway and kept it at 55 in the right lane letting everyone pass. It was a drama free trip but I was nervous the whole time, just so much mass and clearly more than I should have been towing. Despite the quirks, a P38 really is capable of some tough jobs when asked. Coincidence for sure but when something goes wrong it always seems to be doing something mundane. When asked to tug more than double its normal weight, nothing breaks.

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
7,100 lbs is not even at the maximum towing weight, they are type approved to tow up to 3,500 kgs which is 7,716 lbs. The boat and trailer in my pic weighed a total of 4,200 kgs, or 9,260 lbs, and it towed that for almost 900 miles. Admittedly slowly, and very slowly going uphill, but it still did it.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
I haven't towed anything with my current P38, but many years ago when I had my first one back in NZ there was extra power required at one of the venues for a show, and a generator needed to be brought in.

I got a call with "You have a 4wd don't you... do you have a tow bar?"... So went and picked this monster up.

I think the generator company said it was about 4500kg all up, and that they usually tow them with big Ford pickup trucks, but took one look at the RR and said "you'll be fine with that"

Did it nicely, 80kph all the way on the motorway (about 50mph) which was the limit for towing with a trailer.

01 Gennie.jpg

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use mine for handyman work and security camera work, it is a great work vehicle. I drive it almost daily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts