RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RR is a 2000 4.6 :), very good mechanical condition (now it is), 155k km's .

In "D", when driving at any speed in highest gear, and I take my foot off accelerator pedal, it goes into neutral, which gives me no engine braking, unless I force a downshift to 3 using the gear lever :|. When cruising at higher speeds (say over 90km/h), it will go to neutral as described before, but when I want to accelerate again, she bangs it back into gear with quite an uncomfortable jerk. It's always done this, since I've had it, about 18 months. No faults have ever come up when this happens...

Not one of my usual P38 fixers no what to do about this, and they say they don't know of another car that does this (go into neutral all the time). The Transmission oil and filter was changed, but no diffrence here.

Did Land Rover/ZF have different software for different models, or does mine have a bug ? Anyone out there have this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
any faults logged? Sounds like a torque converter lock solenoid fault or a broken sprag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks albani, my converter lockup clutch works fine in 3rd and 4th, and no faults get logged. It's almost as if the controller is programmed to do this (go into neutral....).

Not sure about the one-way sprag, my feeling is it would have other (worse) symptoms...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have almost the same problem with my 1995 P38, when i take my foot off the brake on a hill my car rolls back and accelerate again when i press the gas pedal. hope someone can tell me if this is normal or if its a problem. thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no, the car drives normal going down a hill but what i noticed was that when i am on a hill the engine stalls and when i let go the brake pedal it rolls back. thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts