RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 P38 (USA model) which I have owned since 2000 is refusing to start.

History:

Back in the beginning of the year (2019) out of a blue, the car refused to start. I tried two original key fob that came with the car but unable to start the car. I came here, searched the forum and performed the key fob re-synchronization and all was good for about a month. Then a month later the car started to randomly lock and unlock WHILE driving. I ignored that symptom and keep driving until the car refused to start again. The key re-sync did not work this time. So I kept researching here and I stumbled a post where someone suggested to spray some WD-40 inside the door lock and that worked!

But a few weeks later the car started to randomly lock and unlock while driving again and one afternoon after work the car simply refused to start. I can turn the key but wouldn’t crank. No message on the dash board. Tried to jump start the car but no go even though I knew for sure battery was good.

Tried fob re-synchronization again but failed. I followed a suggestion posted by Martin somewhere and did the following.

Disabled Engine and the Un-sync ‘ed key fob.

1/ Open the Vehicle manually with the key (the alarm will be going off the whole time) and open the bonnet (it is extremely Important to leave the bonnet and the door open or you may be locked out).

2/ Disconnect the main 12 volt vehicle battery.

3/ Put key in ignition and turn to position II.

4/ Reconnect the Battery.(window unset alarms will be going off)

5/ Start the engine then push the lock and unlock buttons on the key while the engine is running.

6/ Open and close all the windows to reset them.

So I left the car at work, with battery disconnected, and each day I will reconnect the battery and try to start the car. On the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] day, the car started and I drove back home only to fail to start the next day. I can no longer use the remote key fob to unlock or unlock. The key fob was not communicating at all! I towed the car to an Indy shop he said the front door latch needs replacing (he charged me $550 US for this job, I think I was robbed) and all has been good until last week when the car refused to start again. But this time after locking and unlocking the car a few times using the key fob and the key, I was able to jump started the car. Thinking this was a battery issue, I drove to a shop where I bought the battery 2 years ago. They tested and battery and alternator and they said battery is good but needs recharging. Since this was the second recharge they have to do, I ask they replace it with a new battery. Next day I disconnected the battery, took it down for replacement, brought the new battery back, connected new battery and car started at the first crank. What a joy!!

But that lasted only one day. This morning the car won’t start again. It will turn but no crank. The car will lock, unlock and super lock with both key fobs and the key however, so I doubt the door latch is faulty again.

What I tried this morning before posting here:

1. key fob re-synchronization
  2. disconnect battery and reconnect with key in position II as suggested above
  3. disconnect the battery and wait for an hour
  4. Tried to jump start the car
One thing that is different this time is, when I try to superlock, the car will lock but the horn beeps once, like a door, a tailgate or bonnet is open but no message on the dash board. When I superlock with a the bonnet open, the horn beeps once and I see a message “Bonnet open” on the dashboard. I did this with all four doors, tailgate, and the sunroof and each time I superlock using the key fob, I horn beeps once and the correct information is displayed on the dashboard indicating which is open. So why does the horn goes off once like something is open when everything is closed and yet no message on the dashboard? Is this point to a potential culprit? Could this be a case where the BECM forgot the immobilizer code it needs send to the EMS for it to start the engine? Do you recommend I buy BECM Sync mate from Blackbox solutions or would that be a waste of money? Wish if someone from Metro DC area can lend me a Syncmate to try.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
If it has lost sync, when you turn the key to start, nothing happens except the display shows, Engine Immobilised, Press Remote or Enter Code. Also, with the key in position 2 you will have no Check Engine light. On a pre-99 car, if it cranks but doesn't start, it isn't immobilised. If you can sync the fobs, and lock and unlock with them, it isn't immobilised. A Sync-Mate won't do anything as it is already synced. As you've found with the door latches, if you ignore anything odd, it will only bite you in the bum sooner or later, is there anything else that doesn't seem related, that you aren't telling us?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
417 Posts
I feel ya, I had my door locks popping up and down once in a while and it almost bit me. I had finally ordered a good used drivers latch and the day I went to put it in I had to try 50x to get the door unlocked.
Got it in and no problems since. What I am wondering is if you roll all the windows down and open the sunroof, then hold the key to the right does everything close and there should not beep.
I had a strange problem once and closing everything with the key to the right kind of synced me back up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the education and saving me some cash I would have spent on SyncMate! I don't get Engine Immobilized, Press Remote or Enter Code. Also, with key in position II, I have Check Engine light. Turning the key past position II, as if starting the car, nothing happens,! No crank, no sound, no start, just dead! Jump start the car won't due it either. So what else prevents the car from cranking and starting? Could it be fuse related? If so, which fuse should I check?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel ya, I had my door locks popping up and down once in a while and it almost bit me. I had finally ordered a good used drivers latch and the day I went to put it in I had to try 50x to get the door unlocked.
Got it in and no problems since. What I am wondering is if you roll all the windows down and open the sunroof, then hold the key to the right does everything close and there should not beep.
I had a strange problem once and closing everything with the key to the right kind of synced me back up.
Thanks. I will try what you suggested. Strange too in my case is that the horn beeps once, like one of the doors, tailgate, bonnet or the sunroof is open when superlock the car but no such message on the dashboard display. I checked to make sure all are locked but still keeps doing it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You dont need to superlock it always. Superlock turns on the interior movement sensor. If you push the remote once it will lock and the lights blink once. If you push the button 2x then it will superlock
and the lights blink 2x. Same with the key, 2x to the right = superlock 1x =regular lock. Roll the windows down and use the key to roll eveything up and let us know if there is a beep.
Sometimes you have to watch dash closely to see the error.
I fprgot to mention if nothing is happenning try moving the gear selector around to get the safety switch to let it start. Good Luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check your starter fuse, in my 2000 it is marked SM for starter motor and has a corresponding relay, not sure about yours. Should be in the owners manual or in Rave. Have you verified any voltages yet?

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
If it is synced, which it sounds like it is, nothing from the starter is either Maxi Fuse 2 (30A) which also powers the EAS compressor, Relay 16 or the starter motor itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You dont need to superlock it always. Superlock turns on the interior movement sensor. If you push the remote once it will lock and the lights blink once. If you push the button 2x then it will superlock
and the lights blink 2x. Same with the key, 2x to the right = superlock 1x =regular lock. Roll the windows down and use the key to roll eveything up and let us know if there is a beep.
I fprgot to mention if nothing is happenning try moving the gear selector around to get the safety switch to let it start. Good Luck
Tried but unable to roll everything up using the key. Maybe that feature is not available on the 1996 HSE model?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it is synced, which it sounds like it is, nothing from the starter is either Maxi Fuse 2 (30A) which also powers the EAS compressor, Relay 16 or the starter motor itself.
Yeah, can lock unlock using Key Fob. Check engine light comes on when key is turned to position II. But when I try to start the car, nothing. No crank, no message on the display. Can't jump start the car either. My knowledge of cars is very limited. I will check the Max Fuse 2 (30A) and the Relay 16 as suggested. How do I check for bad starter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you had the drivers side (RHD) carpet up at all for anything else, o rings for example and the carpets been soaked?

Some of the cabling under my carpet has developed some continuity issues, the cable in particular that provides power to the drivers outstation, so intermittently i have to gently encourage it to reconnect.

Could be a few issues down there too, you neverrrrrr know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 sure their are differences in the years but when mine started having weird electrical seemingly unrelated crap door locks , starting issues , key fob , sycning issues , take it from me , all these issues have one thing in common the fuse box if you have not replaced it do so it`s cheap and most people can handle this as a DYI project and my problems all went away for now. Always troubleshoot from one end or the other never in the middle. P-38 ARE NOT FOR FAINT OF HEART.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to use the key to roll everything up but unable to do so. I am not sure if that feature is available prior to 1997 models. I have a 1996 HSE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried touse the key to roll everything up but not successful. Maybe this feature is not available for models prior to 1997? I have a 1996 HSE model.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Happened to me i found the crank angle sensor plug on the rear side of the block had dirt /moisture in it cleaned it up a wallah she went . failing that get a scan done for the other sensors . rather htan working blind

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the duplicate posts. Because of my post count, my message were quarantined until approved bu site admins.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
If your fob is working to lock and unlock, then pressing and holding the lock button on the fob for two seconds should lock the doors and close all the windows and sunroof (if open and fitted). Just tried it on a 96 HSE I have here and it works on that.

However, I would have thought dealing with the starter was a bit more important......

·
Registered
949 Posts
Since you've mentioned that you've recently replaced your battery, another possibility worth checking is whether the cable connections to the battery is snug. Even slightly loose terminal cable would cause the car electrical to be essentially dead.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Find your starter relay, I think you said it was RL16. Use a short piece of wire, I put spade lugs on mine, and jump pins 30 and 87 in the relay socket. You can pull the relay out and see which pins these are by lining up the relay with the socket. Jump those 2 in the socket and the starter should engage, with the key in position II if it engages, it should start. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts