RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Today I drove a few miles to pick up my wife and then the car won't start up. Then I found that the gear lever won't engage P or 1......

Battery don't seems to be weak but the RAC man plug in his battery checker and it show good battery. He then connect up the P38 to his truck and left it running for a few minutes. Puts it in Neutral and the P38 starts straight away.

He thinks the battery is too small for the P38 and alternator is not charging the battery. I had the P38 for a few months and do 700 miles without any problem. It feels like everything happening at once.

On the way home the temperature gauge drop all the way down to 0 or blue........on my drive I open the bonnet and found the temperature sensor came away from the engine and the green plastic all brittle etc. Push it back into the block and the temp is on the RED

not a good day, what could the problem be?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
240 Posts
Are you getting any transmission fault codes coming up or any sort of check engine light?

In terms of the battery and alternator, I would start with doing some simple tests to check whether the system is charging properly. Also, I would go ahead and replace the temp sensor before trusting the reading it's giving you since it sounds to be already damaged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

So far I have gone under the car and have a play at the gear cable. I manage to adjust it but at the end only managed to get it to select P and down to 2 or 1st gear up to R......will have to take apart the gear level assamble to have a look why the cable don't cover the full range. No error message or dash light for error

I have check the battery today with a meter, it show 12.3V and when I crank the engine it drops to 10V and the tension belt turn a little bit, I left the battery connect to a charger and will check it again tomorrow.

The temperature is completely broken, it snapped off with the front part still screwed into the engine....will need to get a replacment and try to take out the fron part. Any idea whats the item code the the sensor? it is green and only have 1 wire attached to the top...

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
240 Posts
I believe the part number you are looking for is "AMR5929". Might be a little pricey getting them from Atlantic British so you may wanna look around on like eBay or something.

In terms of your alternator charging, the voltages you gave me sounded decent. You want to make sure you check the voltage when your rover is running. You want to see around 13.8-14V, which will tell you it's charging ok.

Not too sure on the cable, hopefully someone more experienced there will chime in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts