RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
285/35-22 Tires with no rubbing even at highest articulation, not that I would be 4x4ing with these.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
:crybaby2:

It;s your rig, fun changes can be... err,.. fun.

First thought is that rubbing is not an issue with height. Let us know how you rub in access mode.

Apologies, but that is just friggin barf material. The scale and chome to body is WAY off. I;ve seen many a wheel "upgrade" that to me looked fitting, this is not one of them.

Off topic, but is your ass riding a bit high?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually on coils now, air suspension was acting up on my 99 Bosch. Here's one without the angle soft silver center with stainless steel lips (NO CHROME HERE, I HATE CHROME TOO):

·
Registered
536 Posts
range rover soft-roader?... sorry :cry: just not my cuppa tea. What about the 19" l322 rims? it's a shame about the dint in the rear left door, other wise it's looks in showroom condition. Is that Beluga black?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it looks great. Everytime I have installed big rims on vehicles in the past I end up with trans issues. Do you plan on re-gearing the diffs?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Schpeen said:
Everytime I have installed big rims on vehicles in the past I end up with trans issues. Do you plan on re-gearing the diffs?
If the rolling radius is the same, there should be no need.

Re the look, I'm glad I don't have to look at it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Reminds me of Hot Wheels model cars.

Sorry not my cup of tea, but everyone to their own - whatever floats your boat.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
Looks good Medcap, and a nicely maintained truck.

22" is a bit larger than I would prefer but we all have different tastes.
I have 20" wheels on mine.
There are always those who are quick to criticise when what you do, doesn't agree with their own views, so take their comments with a grain of salt.

Re' transmission issues:
Looks like your tyre profile is well matched to the new wheels, so I would expect that the rolling radius is essentially unchanged, which would mean obviously no issues with transmission, gearing or speedo and odometer.
This is borne out by the fact that you currently have no clearance issues.
The only problem I can forsee is if you were to install some front mudflaps, maybe contact with them at full lock, because of the extra width of the tyres.

Soft roader comments?

The reality for most RR owners is that we do very little off road and what we do is not usually serious stuff.
I know quite a few guys who drive around with big knobbies and light truck tyres, putting up with a harsh ride and lots of road noise for 99%+ of the trucks use.
For me, the simple answer to the off road issues was just keeping the original wheels with enough rubber to get past rego' and swap out the wheels whenever I need to do anything half serious.

All the best and cheers,
Keijo

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not bad. Certainly not offensive in my book and I'm firmly in the off-roader side of the ditch. There's been times I would have rather had a highway tread than MT's, that's for sure.

So roll with em'

My only question is with the weight. Is there a significant difference between your OEM wheels/tires and this setup? Any impairment in braking performance?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
For what it's worth guys, here is a pic' of my P38 with the late model 20" RR Sport wheels installed.
Suspension at max' obviously.

Chris, I don't know about medcap's wheels but with mine the weight of the wheels does not seem to be any different, however I did notice a significant imorovement in the handling, especially when the suspension was at the lowest setting.

The tyres are Toyo. Sounds asian, but they are actually made in good old USA. Excellent wear and grip.

The truck was immediately tarted up by a few years and because the wheels are still Rover, the original look and feel of the truck is still somewhat retained.
Definitely a move I haven't regretted.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love it, I think its perfect. My 4rth range had 23' with coils. I diff like your alloy more than my old chrome. Ah, the days of youth back in the day. Either was here's a :thumb:

P.S. Change those rear lights to clear ASAP, lol

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
:shock:

I nearly threw up when I saw that!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry if a offended anyone with my first post, didn't mean to... that's just my personal taste. I don't see the point of owning a range rover and trying to make it handle better, i'd get a peugot instead. I have to say those RRS rims look simply great, though not really to practical for the kind of trips we go on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude, he lives in LA! That's how they roll there... I'm into Jeeps too, we go 4 wheelin once s month in Tennessee Alabama Georgia north Carolina and south Carolina and we do dome pretty extreme wheeling. I couldn't imagine taking my range, aside from the fact that it wouldn't make it, it would be thrashed on the first trip! I could see it doing some trail riding with some hill climbs maybe but the first boulder that creased the side from front to back would make me throw up! I decided to keep the original alloys on my 96' RR and I installed a new set of Nitto Graplers. They have a nice aggressive tread for trails and snow but still have nice road manners. Everyone has their own taste, that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla! I for one wouldn't go the 22" route but I love the look for sure. I have seen 26's on a H2 Hummer with thousands in chrome and tv's and giant coilovers that will never see even a dirt road but you still gotta love it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dude, it looks just fine...I get the same flammage from some folks within the Rover community and I take it with a grain of salt...I do plenty of off-roading, so I look at it as I have the best of both worlds... :dance:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I see nothing wrong with those 22s, they look good!
Not a fan of Chrome wheels on 4x4's, they look silly. However a nice set of street wheels and a set of winter/offroad wheels and tires makes perfect sense!
Here is my Girlfriends on a set of 20's I had already. We have not kept them on because I was not happy about the amount of thread engagement I had, and need to put longer studs in sometime...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
ju1cy1 said:
Dude, it looks just fine...I get the same flammage from some folks within the Rover community and I take it with a grain of salt...I do plenty of off-roading, so I look at it as I have the best of both worlds... :dance:
And I'd bet not just Rover world. Those earlier wheels would look awful on any car (and OFF any car) - and yours aren't much better.

I really wonder about the taste of many people today wih the way they put just **** ugly wheels on a car. Usually the manufacturer gets it right and some owners then go and (at great expense) ruin the look.

What I'd like to know is the age of the owners.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
ju1cy1 said:
What I'd like to know is the age of the owners
Old enough not to bash everyone on these forums... :naughty:
Well, if one is worried about what people will say about the wheels, don't ask the question.

·
Registered
86 Posts
And I'd bet not just Rover world. Those earlier wheels would look awful on any car (and OFF any car) - and yours aren't much better.
I did not ask about what people thought...I was just letting him know don't take it to heart about some not liking his wheels...And then you jump me... :?: :?:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts