RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 1998 P38 - 2.5 diesel with automatic gearbox.

I have started to notice a whining noise - more prominent at about 60mph and ONLY when accelerating - if you take your foot off the accelerator it stops but a slight press on the pedal and it is back.

Wondering if this would be the gearbox, transfer box or something else?

Thanks in advance as always.

·
Registered
492 Posts
sounds like a diff problem, check for leaks or movement around pinions , ask the wife to drive it past you and back off , if you can hear it in the cab you will hear it outside.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
probably the chain in the transfer case, do you get any backlash when you take your foot off the accelerator when going up hill or down hill? How many ks on the truck?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
I have a whine too - and I'm almost certain it's from the transmission in my case.

I replaced the transfer case awhile ago (I had the stretched chain which skipped teeth on acceleration) and figured it was the Tcase that whined too.. swapped whole case, and same whine, still there. Both of my diffs were replaced about 6months after I bought the RR - the rear one with a brand new, never been fitted unit, the front with second hand 4pin (again, whine was there before and after diff swap!)

Hence, my conclusion is the whine must be in the transmission somewhere - maybe a bearing, or general wear and tear. I found if I went into low range, then the whine was a lot louder - more of a howl! which makes sense as the engine revs/ gearbox speed are a lot faster compared to the road speed.

Does your whine become louder/more pronounced in low range?

One of my gearshifts is a bit jerky, and I think the RR had a hard life before I owned it, so a recon transmission is on the plans for some point, but once I have the money! Your whine might be different, but I've concluded mine is somewhere in the autobox, as pretty much the rest of the driveline has been replaced in mine over the last few years. Also, to note... in the 5yrs I've had the RR (and the whine!) it hasn't actually got much worse so if yours does come from transmission, then chances are it's not something that is going to be an issue for awhile!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts