RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to replace the wheel nuts as I've had to peel the caps off some and what's underneath doesn't instill faith in a socket turning them. I've got standard P38 16" alloys but I want to do away with the capped nuts. There are many alternatives available, obviously I need the type with collars, but am I right in thinking they are described as 60degree seats?
Thoughts or advice please?
Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You can peel off the stainless caps and use a 26 mm socket. It works perfectly.

Why not stick with the original nuts though; you need to make a tool like this. I made this up as I like to torque up my wheel nuts to the right spec so I need a 1/2" drive to fit the torque wrench.

The issue with the original nuts is that butcher mechanics use the wrong sockets on them and damage the stainless covers. I made my own tool by welding a 27mm socket on to an old extension. That way I can tap it on with a hard rubber hammer and wiggle it off gently. Works perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You do see new ones on UK Ebay from time to time which are cheaper.
Problem with mechanics is they are use worn sockets and round the nuts. Used every day and too mean to buy new ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the comments, I have some with caps, some without, and a couple of those are nearly round and a poor fit at 24mm. There is, for example, a full set on fleabay for £20, but it says they are 28mm which suggests to me that the rot has already started.
As I'm not concerned at the moment about looks, I'm just testing the water to see if there was a suitable functional substitute available.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Could replace them with these.

No more caps to round off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently contacted one of the ebay suppliers to confirm the 19mm P38 oem alloy nuts they had listed were actually for P38 oem alloys, and oddly enough they openly said they weren't despite the heading, but they could supply them for 5 times the price!
The Britpart ones look to be the best value but the Wrington ones at £240 a set are a bit steep for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
I've used the Britpart ones to replace locking nuts, made of steel with the stainless cap just the same as the originals. Those Wrington ones are a plain rip off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like Britpart is the way to go.
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts