RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I realize this is a RR forum, and there may be a slight bias, but I have a question that I'd really like honest answers to.

I have an '89 classic and whilst it's a great RR there are so many little things that don't work. I find myself saying to people things like 'oh you have to press this button like THIS', or 'this only works if you jiggle it' etc. It has been my plan to buy a later model RRC, and keep the '89 for the workhorse, and the later model for the luxury ;)

I was also considering adding an '04 Disco at some point. However I've seen a '99 P38 4.6HSE for sale locally. There is a price difference between an '04 Disco and a '99 P38, but what are the pros and cons of each? The P38 will have EAS, and the Disco will not, P38 has roomier interior, but what else am I looking at? Should I consider the P38 over a Disco?
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
541 Posts
Never had a Disco but enjoy my P38. Used cars are mostly a crap shoot, so I'd evaluate the particular examples you are reviewing and compare cost, wear and tear, mileage, etc. To make a standard statement without the details of either would be hard to do over the inter-webs. (i'm assuming you have a particular 04 Disco in mind)

Just wanted to comment that if you find/own a 20+ year old car, particularly one from the 80's, that doesn't require a little bit of "having to push it like this" or "jiggle it like that" then you have found yourself a rare bird.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
I for one can't drive them for very long as I feel like I am wearing the darn things. The door glass is right at my shoulder and the seats leave alot to be desired. A more in depth bit with positive comments can be found using search.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The 04 Disco is one of the best year Discos in my opinion. I almost bought one as a daily driver awhile back. Ended up with a P38 as a spare/weekend warrior car. I really liked the Discovery at one point, after owning my P38 for awhile. I can honestly say I'd rather take my P38 on a road trip than a Disco any day. The P38 is just more comfortable. You can do what you want, in my opinion they are both excellent choices. Do you know if the Range you are looking at is a bosch or gems?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris X said:
(i'm assuming you have a particular 04 Disco in mind)
No, at this point I'm just trying to figure out the pro/cons of each choice. I realize that I'll need to evaluate each individual car, but at this stage I'm just deciding if I've overlooked something 8~

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lrscott said:
Do you know if the Range you are looking at is a bosch or gems?
My understanding is that as a '99 is should be Bosch. There is also a '00 around the same price locally...

·
Registered
966 Posts
james said:
lrscott said:
Do you know if the Range you are looking at is a bosch or gems?
My understanding is that as a '99 is should be Bosch. There is also a '00 around the same price locally...
Some '99 are GEMS. If you have a picture of the engine, you can see the difference on the intake plenum.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
D4 are very good capable and nice to drive, the P38 however has more room so if you have a couple of sproglets at your ankles then I'd go P38.

If you grab a P38 there's alot of items to check, if you dont you'll end up with a lemon so knowlegde on what to check for is critical, either way I doubt for a moment you'll ever be able to pick up a 100% perfect no nonsense P38 regardless of year so be prepared to spend to bring it up to spec

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
James,

Drive both, as close together as you can.

As everyone else has said here the Disco 2 despite being a nice car is chalk and cheese compared to a P38.

Ask yourself what you want it for, distance comfort etc.

On a long drive you wont know you've done it in a good P38 (apart from the Fuel bill) the Discovery is another matter and itsn't as comfortable and shows it RRC origins as someone else has said, its cramped in the cab and is noisy if you go for Diesel. A D2 does have half an EAS system on the higher spec models, but as with any system, if its well looked after and maintained, you shouldn't have any issues.

Owning both, they're both good, but my choice would be a P38.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Avoid the Discovery except if you don't have the finances to run a P38. The Discovery can't compete with comfort, and the p38 is just as capable as the Discovery off road and is better on road by far. Also the chassis on the Discovery tend to rot, unlike the p38's which they remembered to paint before it left the factory.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've had both, an 03 Disco and the current P38.
Pro's and cons for both.
Once the Disco TD5 was chipped it had the P38 beaten on fuel economy by a very long way and the performance was very good, before being chipped the performance was crap to be honest.
The P38 comfort is so much better than the Disco, but the Disco handled better, it had ACE fitted, which also gave it self levelling suspension. The P38 doesn't corner as good, wallows a bit too much, but soaks up the bumps much better, so gives a better ride.
I had the ES model Disco so all the goodies were there, but it felt less roomy inside and the headroom was worse(I'm 6' 4" tall, so it mattered), but the rearmost seats came in use on more than one occasion. It could carry 7 at a push as long as the ones in the very back had short legs!!
I'd have another Disco and I'd enjoy it, but the one I had spent more time at the LR dealership than I seemed to be driving it. New gearbox, two clutches, new injectors, leaky rear sunroof, rusty rear door(inside!) and pulling brakes. Thankfully, all fixed under LR's very good warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had an '04 Discovery for about a year and as everyone here has already said they are very different. I thought to try one instead of a RR, after about two months I decieded I wasn't overly keen on it and have gone back to a RR.

As already stated the RR is alot more comfortable to drive. I found the Discovery a bit cramped and bit limiting in a all round view compared to the RR.
That said I didn't have any mech. problems with the Discovery at all unlike my new (to me) '02 RR but still wouldn't trade back.
The disco was a bit zippy compared to the RR and a touch easier to manouver around tight city areas but that was about all. The Rover has had some issues but they have mainly been the previous owner not doing the maintenance needed.

I have more room in the rover and prefer it on long drives (both from a suspension and seat comfort point of view). Also the Rover was better in the snow than the Discovery for me, I am sure someone will dis-agree with me on that ( a disco owner somewhere).

All in all I would say go for the rover the fuel milage wasn't that great a difference between the two for me. Let us know what you go for in the end and post a picture if you go with the Rover.
Aynsley

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mechanically, I believe that the Discovery II is the same as the P38.
I have a 1995 Discovery I and a 1999 P38 (Bosch). The P38 is definitely more comfortable and roomy, but the Discovery is firmer, as someone has already mentioned. I like them both and drive them kind of alternately.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Cornishman said:
I've had both, an 03 Disco and the current P38.
Pro's and cons for both.
Once the Disco TD5 was chipped it had the P38 beaten on fuel economy by a very long way and the performance was very good, before being chipped the performance was crap to be honest.
The P38 comfort is so much better than the Disco, but the Disco handled better, it had ACE fitted, which also gave it self levelling suspension. The P38 doesn't corner as good, wallows a bit too much, but soaks up the bumps much better, so gives a better ride.
I had the ES model Disco so all the goodies were there, but it felt less roomy inside and the headroom was worse(I'm 6' 4" tall, so it mattered), but the rearmost seats came in use on more than one occasion. It could carry 7 at a push as long as the ones in the very back had short legs!!
I'd have another Disco and I'd enjoy it, but the one I had spent more time at the LR dealership than I seemed to be driving it. New gearbox, two clutches, new injectors, leaky rear sunroof, rusty rear door(inside!) and pulling brakes. Thankfully, all fixed under LR's very good warranty.
Just don't forget, you are in the US, so Cornishman's Disco also will always get better mileage, for the mere fact it is a diesel, and isn't an option for ya.

I'd personally go with a P38. The only real difference in my mind mechanically is the EAS, which is easlily coil converted if really is troublesome to you.

A relative of mine had a 99 series 2 (with the 4.0 engine). Aside from the rear door rusting very easily, she had to have the engine pulled twice due to an oil leak. Never have had to do that with either of my P38s. And she was located in Chicago, Illinois, which suffers from the same rust issues you will face.

While the two were mechanically similar, there was a reason the P38 was twice the cost of the Discovery, and after driving both, you will realize why.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would never buy a diesel disco again.
i could have bought my p38 twice over with what i have paid in repairs.
The p38 is far more comfortable,i think easier to work on,and just has that certain sophisticated hooligan something about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know this is more apples to oranges but we have a 97 Disco I and a 98 RR HSE, Iike them both for different reasons. I've taken them both on trails and both are naturally very capable with no moajor mods and even though the interior room is quite different between the two, I took the Disco on a road trip recently that clocked nearly 3k miles and I was pretty happy with the comfort level (helps that I lost 140lbs since I bought it, its nice to fit i the **** thing now `) ). I haven't really played with the DIIs much as I deicided to keep both the rovers GEMS for simplicity and engine parts interchangeability. I would say my main concern with getting a DII is getting one that has or is capable of an easy center diff lock mod as I know LR initially disabled it, then ultimately removed it. I gotta have my center diff lock in the Disco.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
fiftywattplexi said:
I would say my main concern with getting a DII is getting one that has or is capable of an easy center diff lock mod as I know LR initially disabled it, then ultimately removed it.
I believe first of all they just removed the lever in the cabin and the linkages to the transfer box (leaving all of the gearing intact), then as you said, later removed the gearing also. On that thought, I wonder if you could get an earlier DII transfer box and fit it to a P38 along with the cabin lever to get a P38 with centre diff lock?? That would be cool.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
paul.adshead said:
On that thought, I wonder if you could get an earlier DII transfer box and fit it to a P38 along with the cabin lever to get a P38 with centre diff lock?? That would be cool.

aside from the driveshaft drop on the wrong side..... the transmission is pretty close, but I'm not sure if the cigar is there....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts