RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have purchased the replacement diaphragm from BECM Doctor for my p38 valve block. The question is unlike the original this diaphragm does not have the metal disc in the middle and is just a rubber disc. Has anyone used this type of diaphragm if so do you use the the original retaining ring and spring that held the original diaphragm in place with the one supplied by becm doctor or does it not need to have the retaining ring fitted. I have sent emails to them but had no reply. Any help would be appreciated as i do not want to put it all back together and find out it is wrong.
many thanks.

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,240 Posts
IIRC, doesn't the diaphragm just sit into a machined slot?? Thought it did on the ones I have done, although it has been a few years since rebuilding one myself.

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
No you do not need the metal disc with the diaphragm we supply in our kit.
I did reply to you and I am Very sorry you did not get my reply.

Scotty

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Aloha,
good information!
I am expecting a VB rebuild kit any day now, and will not need to wonder about the parts......
Just wondering which "any day" the kit will arrive:).................nudge nudge........

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
LOL how are ya Tom?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
'Lo Ha! Scotty,
If I was any better, you would have to arrest me!
Still cannot find the leak on the 02 and it's driving me round the bend!
As soon as I get that darned kit in hand, I am gonna rebuild that sucker and see if that solves it!
On another note, I will be sending Mystery Becm to you for analysis here in the next week or 2.....Heck, I will be in So Cal in 2 weeks, I may just bring it with!
Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had something similar which I DIDN'T get it from BECM doctor so take what follows with a good dollop of salt.

Mine was a plain orange silicon disc, about 4mm thick which was supposed to sit in the same location as the original (thin, flexible with metal centre) diaphragm on its own with just the spring but not the metal washer bit (there was no way to accommodate it anyways). Got it off ebay. Didn't work very well as it didn't keep the air in the reservoir and my EAS compressor was quickly worked to death having to more-or-less continually keep charging the reservoir, although during this period the car behaved quite normally- it was just that the compressor was working awfully hard.

Chucked it once I realised what it was doing to my compressor and splashed out on the original diaphragm in the end.

BUT that was my experience and as I say, it wasn't from BECM doctor. It COULD be that the silicon was no good and rubber would be better, it COULD be that the disc wasn't machined to the right size to form a proper seal and there could be a myriad other reasons why what you have will work where what I had failed.

Just keep an eye on how hard the compressor is working while you try out this new type of diaphragm. If it's working no harder than it was with the old type diaphragm then I reckon you'll not have the same issue I had.

Just do me a favour and check in again once you've had a chance to run it. The original diaphragms cost a bomb and if BECM doctor has a working substitute then that'll be great information for the rest of us.

Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to bring up a very old thread but I have a clarifying question about the becm doctor diaphragm. Do I keep the spring and just swap the original diaphragm, the one with the metal disk in the center, for the black rubber diaphragm shipped with the becm doctor kit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts