RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Performing some refreshing on my headers while waiting for some parts and plan on wrapping them for the sake of avoiding the heat shields. In doing so, I would like to support the manifolds via a bar of sorts to allow the flexpipe section of the manifold to be reinforced. The wrapping aside (titanium and stainless clamps, as well as some bulkhead overlay of some fresh heat resistant self adhesive sort), I plan on fabricating a bar to allow the two sections of each manifold to be supported via the heat shield mounting hardware to similarly keep the manifold from flexing and possibly unnerviving the flexible section. Has anyone been successful in doing so to keep the structural integrity of the manifolds intact, while allowing them to breathe and allow a wrapping of them without fracturing the flexible sections? I plan on using the layout of the inner exhaust shield to lay out the fastening points and fabricate it out of aluminum stock or steel as needed. Is it necessary or just good practice and good for goods sake. Joe

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Why? There are so many exhaust hangers there really is little more than heat expansion at the manifold. Exhaust manifold cracks/failures are extremely rare. The original heat shields offer nothing for structure and only air space insulation for heat protection. Although I always make sure to save the heat shields many folks just leave them off. Others have used simple wrap when their shields have been destroyed. I wish you the best of luck but I think you are way over engineering a solution for which there is no real issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luis,
Good idea. Sent them out along with a few other sets off of cars we r working on in our shop and I think we will be happy with the results. Used Central Connecticut coatings on a friends recommendation. Will post some results and pics.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Meanwhile in the wrapping world.....Lets make sure that moisture gets nice and trapped.
I have yet to leave a set of heat shields off a rig, and I can promise I work on more than most.

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts