RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So I'm in the middle of replacing all the front bushings on my 2000 P38 with 117K miles. The install went about as smoothly as you'd expect (I have this sinking feeling that the truck is probably going to drive the same as it did before I started this whole debacle once it's finally done...) and I'm on to reassembly.

In order to get the radius arms off, I had to remove one end of the track rod. Now, attempting to re-attach it is going nowhere. The when I turn the not, the 'bolt' end of the track spins. So at this point I can't really tighten the joint back together, nor can I easily remove it again.

Help?

My theory is that I destroyed the joint end (or it was already borderline) when I took it apart. I should buy a new track rod and just replace the whole thing. I think I could probably force off the nut by cutting open the boot and finding something to lock my pliers on to. Does that sound right? Or is these something special I have to do to reattached the joint.

-michael

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
Get a friend to place a long bar under the radius arm and on top of the track rod joint. This will force it down catching in the knuckle as you tighten the nut.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a reasonable plan (frustrating the RAVE doesn't say anything about the matter). Hopefully I haven't damaged it by messing with it in the interim. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
As far as I know it is standard for any tie-rod type joint to slip like that on any car. At least any I have owned! Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to have worked (and the car feels better going over speed bumps at 30 than it did before so it wasn't totally in vain). I didn't see any obvious holes in the boot (and it look right when I turned the wheel), but I suppose time will tell.

I think a large chunk of my problem was that I used PB Blaster to loosen the nut and probably got some of it in the taper. I sprayed brake cleaner around and that seemed to help a lot.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Did yours not have the allen key fitting to allow you to stop the taper from spinning, I thought they all have them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seemed like there should have been something like that (on the top), and there was a bit of a divot, but not deep enough to put an allen wrench into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts